ww2 site

General discussion of military history related topics.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

ww2 site

Postby cakemorebloke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:19 pm

dad used to tell me about the guns on rounds green hill does any one know anything about these or any ohter ww2 sites in the black country
cakemorebloke

Re: ww2 site

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:36 pm

My dad was in the Home Guard based on Rounds Green Hills but for some reason he'd never talk about it.Mind you he was only 14 when war broke out in 1939 so he'd only just be 20 when it ended . I always think of Pikey out of Dad's Army!!
Antie Em was brought up around there may be she'd know something. Mind you she's far too young to remember the war!! :lol:
Big Bertha thats what the gun was called.
    Rob

Postby Antie Em » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:58 am

Rob wrote:My dad was in the Home Guard based on Rounds Green Hills but for some reason he'd never talk about it.Mind you he was only 14 when war broke out in 1939 so he'd only just be 20 when it ended . I always think of Pikey out of Dad's Army!!
    Antie Em was brought up around there may be she'd know something. Mind you she's far too young to remember the war!! :lol:
    Big Bertha thats what the gun was called.

I remember people talking about it but of course, as Rob points out, I am far too young to remember. I think though that it was on Lye Cross, where the army barracks were. This joined up with Lye Cross Farm (what we called Old Hadley's) and then onto Rounds Green Hills.

I was brought up in Ashleigh Road, and at the back of our house was what we called Massey's Bank. We used to climb it to take a shortcut to school in City Road. There is a mast on the top of this bank - you can see it for miles, this is the smaller of the three masts you can see, along with the Darbys Hill mast and the Turners Hill mast.

Our house is gone now - the bank, which I believe was a glorified slag heap was moving and disturbed the foundations. I walked over there last year and on the top of the bank now, they have a huge monument to WWII, it looks like a beacon - I'll get a photo of it next time I'm "up Oakham", as long as the sun's shining.
      There's no place like home ......
      Antie Em

Postby hughtin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:48 pm

My great Grand father was in the home guard he lived in Barrack Lane not far from the Lye. Not sure where he was based. I have a photo of him and other members, how do I post it?
      hughtin

Postby linell » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:43 pm

hughtin wrote:My great Grand father was in the home guard he lived in Barrack Lane not far from the Lye. Not sure where he was based. I have a photo of him and other members, how do I post it?

You need to send it to Mallosa in the Gallery section:-

For those wishing to add photos to our Gallery:

You can either upload them yourselves by going into ‘Member Uploads’
      or
      Send me a pm for my e-mail address and I will upload them for you (please add any relevant details)

HTH Linell.
      linell

Postby mallosa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:44 pm

hughtin wrote:My great Grand father was in the home guard he lived in Barrack Lane not far from the Lye. Not sure where he was based. I have a photo of him and other members, how do I post it?

Thanks Linell :wink:

Martin, for the moment I have added your photo in our General Album but think we could do with a Military Section, I'll ask Admin to oblige.

Here's the link Military - Home Guard

Thanks for sending it in!
      If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
      mallosa

Postby mallosa » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:32 pm

That didn't take long did it, thanks Admin!

Martin, your photo has now been moved and is the 1st to go in our Black Country 'Military' section - here :grin:
      If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
      mallosa

Return to General Discussion