James Woodhouse-Shoemaker poet

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

James Woodhouse-Shoemaker poet

Postby littlejohn » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:03 pm

I am interested in Woodhouse James, "Shoemaker Poet" of Rowley Village 1635 to 1820, James Woodhouse wrote a 28000 line epic autobiographical poem called "the life and lucubrations of crispinus scriblerus" which has lately come to be recognised as an outstanding example of "rustic poetry" and is now studied by Universities the World over, a particular champion is Steve Van Hagen lecturer in English at Edge Hill University who has written and lectured extensively on the subject, I recently guided him on a visit to Rowley where we climbed the Rowley Hills to see the extensive view which stretches as far Wales on a clear day and which is described in the Poem, Steve would like to know if there are any descendents of Woodhouse still in the area who might perhaps be able to throw more light on his life.
littlejohn

Re: POST YOUR SURNAMES OF INTEREST - on this thread pls!

Postby linell » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:13 pm

I have seen a picture of James Woodhouse the Poet, can't remember where at the moment :? You should get in touch with the Black Country Bugle, they will publish your query:-

www.blackcountrybugle.co.uk

Linell.
linell

Re: POST YOUR SURNAMES OF INTEREST - on this thread pls!

Postby linell » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:22 pm

From 'The History of the Black Country:-

The descendants of the Poet James Woodhouse, under the name Samuel Woodhouse, have been great pioneers in the art of Chain Making. The history of Chain Manufacture would be almost complete in a history of the Woodhouse family. They have also been great benefactors to the Borough, both in Church, Social Life and Education.'

James Woodhouse Poet of Rowley was born in Rowley Regis in 1735 and died in London 1820. His parents names were Joseph and Mary. The Parish Registers date back to the suppression of the Monasteries by King Henry V111. The family name can be traced to the earliest dates. The Poet himself claims such descent in the lines 'Freehold enough to bear above the crowd' 'Yet not enough to make their spirits proud.' That he of old Yeoman stock and cultivated a small farm which had been in the family for three hundred years, and the Parish Register confirms this.

It is said that James Woodhouse being attacked by a ferocious bull, so belaboured it with a big stick that it lay down and fairly cried for mercy. He left School at the age of 8 and was a self educated man. He was a contemporary and friend of William Shenstone. He stood 6' 6" in height. Shenstone employed James Woodhouse in laying out his estate, later he became land steward to Lord Montague and Lord Lyttleton, who became his patrons. He superintended the building of Montague House, Portman Sqauare, and tells in verse the difficulties of his position. The two Gentlemen were God Fathers's to his eldest son George Edward. In 1803 he moved to London and kept a book-sellers shop in Grosvenor Square. His death in 1820 was hastened by being knocked down by a pole of a carriage whilst crossing Oxford Street. It is interesting to note that the great Doctor Johnson met James Woodhouse at the home of a mutual friend, although Dr Johnson regarded Woodhouse as a 'Wild Man from the Country' and spoke disparagingly of the rhymster, yet he afterwards modified his judgement. An account of this interview took place in Blackwood's Magazine, November 1829. Dr Johnson's advice to Woodhouse appears to have been, 'give days and nights, sir, to the study of Addison.'

Linell.
Last edited by linell on Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linell

Re: James Woodhouse-Shoemaker poet

Postby mallosa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:33 pm

We have James on BCC - ...here

Connects to our Di :grin:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Northern Lass

Postby linell » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:15 pm

I just read that James lived at Portway and was was taught the trade of Shoe Making as a boy. He had the habit of walking over the fields to Halesowen to visit Wm Shenstone who lent him books.

Linell.
linell

Postby dianel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:58 am

I googled James Woodhouse and found some of his writings plus some autobiographical stuff on Google Books:
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=PL9 ... &q&f=false

Apparently, when he was a shoemaker, he also taught children to read & write - He says he ran a "little school".
Some mistakes are too much fun
to only make once.
dianel

Postby WOODY1980 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Hello let me introduce myself, i am the son of Dennis Woodhouse of Rowley Regis. James Woodhouse (POET) of who you speak is a late decendent of our family. Its interesting to know that my father who was born 1931-2000 spoke of James woodhouse and did mention on numerous occasions of his poetical master pieces. What i find interesting is that not only did we decend from chain makers also my great grandfather who was born 1800's was six feet seven.
This would of been giantism in those days i guess the DNA of my great grandfather was shared with James being six feet six.

We (The Woodhouse's) still live in Rowley Regis and are regular visitors to St Giles. The Family Lives On!

Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.

Dennis Woodhouse.ESQ
WOODY1980

Postby Antie Em » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:46 am

How interesting - welcome to the forum Dennis

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby littlejohn » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Woody1980, I have left you a private message re James Woodhouse
littlejohn