*Archived * -Quinton Cemetery

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

*Archived * -Quinton Cemetery

Postby mike-g » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:44 am

Can anyone tell me if Quinton Cemetery would have been used for burials from Rowley Regis about 1850s. I cannot find what I am looking for at St Giles.
mike-g

Re: Quinton Cemetery

Postby mallosa » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:37 am

If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:58 am

mike-g wrote:Can anyone tell me if Quinton Cemetery would have been used for burials from Rowley Regis about 1850s. I cannot find what I am looking for at St Giles.

Who are you lookin for mg?

Have you tried the council cemetary info
http://www.dudley.gov.uk/index.asp?pgid=24627
that gives info on certain ones and when opened.

Then you can search on this
http://www.dudley.gov.uk/community-and- ... ch-service
Scroll down and you have to click on I agree it then takes you to a database
I found one of my ancestors via that and the plot and then there is a cemetary plan on the same section.

Genealogy Research Service
Bereavement Services now offer a genealogy research service to locate a person that is buried within one of the boroughs cemeteries. The online facility provides both the burial location and grave number

Otherwise suppose it could have been another church in the area?
:?
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:00 am

Just thinking could it have been Clent?
Didnt the vicar make everyone go to Clent at some time I cant remember the year...Linell will know
:wink:
Northern Lass

Postby dianel » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:42 am

“Until the 19th century, Rowley church was a chapel of ease belonging to the parish of Clent. The distance between the two (some 9 kilometres) gave rise to much inconvenience, particularly with the growth in the population of Rowley. They were separated by a Private Act of Parliament in 1841. Before this the Vicar at Clent was prone to insist that Rowley people went to him at Clent for a marriage rather than him going to Rowley to perform the service. Clent was a good long walk away and some people chose to "live" in Halesowen parish and get married there rather than go to Clent. “

From a rather nice website:
"John Winchurch Website"
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/FamilyHistory/history.html
Some mistakes are too much fun
to only make once.
dianel

Postby linell » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:23 pm

Hi NL, Quinton Parish Church and Burial Ground were consecrated in 1840. Until 1842 Quinton was in the Parish of Halesowen. As for Clent, the Rev Lyttleton Perry in 1776 expected his Parishioners from Rowley to travel the 5 miles to Clent, and refused to conduct services at Rowley Church, or having carried them out at Rowley, he then entered the events in the Clent Registers. The Registers themselves appear to bear this out. During the years of his Ministry 1776 - 1812 there is no mention of the Rev Lyttleton Perry's name at Rowley. During this same period it is quite common to find as many as twenty Marriages a year carried out by him and entered in the Clent Registers. linell.
linell

Postby linell » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:29 pm

mike-g wrote:Can anyone tell me if Quinton Cemetery would have been used for burials from Rowley Regis about 1850s. I cannot find what I am looking for at St Giles.

Hi Mike, there was quite a choice of Parish Churches around Rowley in 1850. Halesowen being one, St Lukes Cradley Heath, St Peter's Cradley, St Mary's Old Swinford and Kingswinford, plus all the Dudley Churches, not forgetting the fact your Ancestor could have been a Non Conformist, some Chapels did have their own Burial Grounds, hopefully you can find them on the the link that NL gave you, a much easier option. Best Wishes from linell.
linell

Postby mike-g » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:08 pm

Thanks all for your replies, this will give me something to do tonight.
mike-g

Re: *Archived* -Quinton Cemetery

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:05 am

Moving this to the archived section.

So unless otherwise advised this will be archived within 24 hrs

:wink:
Northern Lass

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics