The infamous Dudley Devil - Theophilus Dunn

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Lookup Request - James DUNN

Postby amy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:44 pm

Ive been out of touch with this forum for the past few months but thanks for the replies. I hadnt heard of Theophilus as the Dudley Devil and as he is my direct ancestor this is extremely interesting!!! Does anyone know how I can find out more about how he got this curious nickname and his exploits? From google searching the Dudley Devil I came across a forum post on rootsweb where Theophilus was consulted by a neighbour about how he could get rid of his useless wife. Theophilus advised him of a biblical custom through which he could sell his wife as a possession. so the neighbour tied his wife up like livestock and sold her at market!! It is a little disconcerting that I am decendent from someone who would recommend such a thing but very curious all the same.
amy

The Infamous Dudley Devil? - Theophilus Dunn

Postby amy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:55 pm

It has just come to my attention that my great-great-great-great-grandfather Theophilus Dunn was known as the Dudley Devil and I am really curious to know more about this. Has anyone come across any references to him in their research? I already have a lot of information about his family tree so it is more his personal history that I am interested in.
amy

Postby peterd » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:42 pm

found this dont know if it helps

"Theophilus Dunn - Dudley
I am searching for information on Theophilus Dunn, the well-known perhaps infamous DUDLEY DEVIL the Black Country legend who was an ancestor of mine. I am interested in finding more about him, the legends and where they come from. I am also interested in his son Epaphroditus, his daughter Sarah who married Daniel Bradley and other Bradley descendents of the Dixons Green area. Martin "
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Dudley Devil

Postby amy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:08 pm

Yeah I found that post too but from what I can see you have to pay to register on that site to get in touch with people and as a poor uni student I have to be very careful about subscribing to the interesting things I find online :) I found a few other references to him in some Black Country Bugle articles:

"Probably one of the most famous tricksters operating in our region was Dunn, better known as the “Dudley Devil”. He claimed to be able to recover stolen goods by the working of charms. Folk travelled from miles around to consult him, and to buy charms to cure various ailments, especially toothache. But not even the Dudley Devil could escape mortality, and he was buried in Netherton in 1851."

and

"Uncle Thomas was born in 1896 and lived at 23 Greystone Street. (He was a descendent of that very well known gentleman Theophilus Dunn, otherwise known as "The Dudley Devil," who was born in 1788, died in 1851, and is buried at St. Andrew's Church in Netherton)."
amy

Re: The Infamous Dudley Devil? - Theophilus Dunn

Postby linell » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:14 pm

I found these notes on him:-Probably one of the most famous tricksters operating in our region was Dunn, better known as the “Dudley Devil”. He claimed to be able to recover stolen goods by the working of charms. Folk travelled from miles around to consult him, and to buy charms to cure various ailments, especially toothache. But not even the Dudley Devil could escape mortality, and he was buried in Netherton in 1851.

Linell.
linell

Re: The Infamous Dudley Devil? - Theophilus Dunn

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi amy just merged the posts on this Dudley Devil from the Brickwall you were running
so we keep on one thread
:grin:
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:53 pm

amy wrote:Ive been out of touch with this forum for the past few months but thanks for the replies. I hadnt heard of Theophilus as the Dudley Devil and as he is my direct ancestor this is extremely interesting!!! Does anyone know how I can find out more about how he got this curious nickname and his exploits? From google searching the Dudley Devil I came across a forum post on rootsweb where Theophilus was consulted by a neighbour about how he could get rid of his useless wife. Theophilus advised him of a biblical custom through which he could sell his wife as a possession. so the neighbour tied his wife up like livestock and sold her at market!! It is a little disconcerting that I am decendent from someone who would recommend such a thing but very curious all the same.

does anyone remember in one of the annuals this?
something is ringing a bell re an image in one of the bugles
sure there is an illustration with a woman and a rope around her neck
can't remember which one now.
but you may have this info from the bugle amy
Northern Lass

Re: The infamous Dudley Devil - Theophilus Dunn

Postby gardener » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:41 pm

Found this

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bi ... 30719.2.13

It always worth checking this search: http://news.google.co.uk/archivesearch
Use quatation marks to keep words together and if it was famous enough to amke Australian or New Zealand papers you are in luck. There is one pay for view too.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby gardener » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:49 pm

And try on Google Books, lots of odds and ends.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:00 pm

sp1 wrote:
Were you aware that their decendant Theophilus Dunn was known as the 'Dudley Devil' - there has been a lot about him in the 'Black Country Bugle' over the years. He is buried at St Andrews, Netherton - his gravestone is in Greek!

My Grandmother always said that we were related to him, and indeed we do have a Dunn descent, but I have never found a connection.
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi Amy hope some of that info has helped you.
Do you need any more on this lot?
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:53 pm

Moved this one to Social History as it is an interesting topic
and we can continue to run with it there.
Northern Lass

Postby BC Wench » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:05 pm

Dudley Archives have some information on Theophilus Dunn. They have a glass negative of his headstone at St. Andrew's for viewing only and if I remember correctly a book on "The Dudley Devil". Try this web site for some other info they have www.blackcountryhistory.org.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby JAMES DUNN » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:54 pm

Dear Amy,
I have been reading through your posts and I too am a Dunn.
My name is James Dunn and Thomas Dunn was my uncle.
I have researched the Dunn family all the way back to Theophilus's parents.
Please contact me if you would like further information.
Kind regards
Jim
JAMES DUNN

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi James do have a look at our Black Country Connections tree that a few of us are involved in
if you are interested in that pm me.
You can click on my website logo to find out what it is all about
:grin:
Northern Lass

Next

Return to Famous, Infamous And Other Black Country Folk