English ancestor in The Netherlands and looking for sources

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

English ancestor in The Netherlands and looking for sources

Postby Ilse » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:47 am

Hello everyone,

Let me first introduce myself: I am Ilse, Dutch and while searching for my ancestors in The Netherlands, I stumbled upon an English ancestor living in Utrecht in early 1600s. As I know my sources in The Netherlands for genealogy, I am now a bit stuck in my search in England and I was wondering if someone could put me in the right direction, to continue my search in England?

A bit more information about my ancestor I am looking for:

His name was Thomas Boddam, although alternative writings in the archives here are Bodam, Botham and Bootham. The name Bootham is used commonly in the years following and was my first lead. The earliest registration in The Netherlands of Thomas, was his marriage in 1611 in Utrecht, with Mechteltge Foace. The marriage registration mentions him as an 'Adelborst' (Midshipmen in English I believe) under Utrecht governor John Ogly/Ogle (https://www.westminster-abbey.org/abbey ... n-ogle-son). So he must have served in the Dutch State Army at that time. Thomas died in 1626 in Utrecht. Unfortunately his age was not mentioned in the death registration, so I have no idea how old he was when he got married.

I have no clue where to start my search in England, to see if I can trace him there and to find out who his parents were and if possible to see when he actually came to The Netherlands. Perhaps someone here might know some sources I can delve into to see if I continue this trail :)

With kind regards and thank you in advance,

Ilse
Ilse

Re: English ancestor in The Netherlands and looking for sour

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:24 am

Goede Morgen Ilse mag ik u welkom heten bij Genealogy Forum UK. Hier vindt u vriendelijke en hulpzame mensen met hele veel kennis van het uitzoeken van genealogy problemen. Ik wens u heel veel succes.
vrg Rob
Rob

Re: English ancestor in The Netherlands and looking for sour

Postby Hillhurst » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Ilse wrote:Hello everyone,
The earliest registration in The Netherlands of Thomas, was his marriage in 1611 in Utrecht, with Mechteltge Foace.
Ilse

Hello Ilse - looks like the marriage was in 1613 (according to the WieWasWie website). Does the marriage record mention any other details for Thomas, besides his occupation? How many children did the couple have?

From what I understand, many Scots and English in Dutch service married locally. So it can often be difficult to know if one is dealing with someone born in his native country, or born in the Netherlands, or elsewhere. Two or even three generations, in effect.

Normally, the regiments on the British establishment, who served in the Netherlands, would also be known by the name of their Colonel, up to 1751.
However, as you say, Thomas' marriage registration indicates he was a Adelborst [midshipman] under John Ogle. So that is something I would focus on, if possible. Interesting that Thomas' occupation was maritime-related, and not army.

Ancestry has this interesting record, but no image. Could this Thomas be a descendant of your Thomas?

Netherlands, Dutch East India Company Crew Index, 1633-1795
Name: Thomas Bodam [Thomas Maartensz]
Departure Date: 16 mei 1758 (16 May 1758)
Departure Place: De Rijp
Arrival Date: 26 Dec 1758
URL: https://www.wiewaswie.nl/personen-zoeke ... cid/154143
Hillhurst

Return to General Discussion