Albert T Lloyd

Discussion relating to research into specific individuals.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, apowell

Albert T Lloyd

Postby Katykat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:50 pm

First name(s)Albert Thomas Last nameLloyd
Birth year1892
Service number9758Regiment—
Birth county Shropshire
SeriesWo 97 - Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records 1760-1913

Is anyone able to find out any family listed for Albert? I’m hoping his mother’s name might be listed. Gardener has already discovered that Albert was a bigamist so I’m assuming that he was jailed at some point.
Katykat

Re: Albert T Lloyd

Postby apowell » Wed May 13, 2020 4:37 pm

Hi,

Albert Thomas Lloyd

He served for 1 year at home and was constantly being charged for numerous offences, he seemed a real rum one.

His mother's name was Sarah Ann of Cold Hatton, Wellington, Shropshire.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby apowell » Wed May 13, 2020 4:56 pm

Hi,

Albert was born High Ercall, Shropshire and married Ann Elson? maybe children were Leon and Mary? (hard to read).

Gosh, this Albert was a real character and didn't seem to take well to following orders or any type of discipline but a brave man.

I found some further information for you and he re-enlisted/recalled 15 August 1914 (11 days after war was declared) and served in Gallipoli 1915 afterwards seeing service in France.

He was wounded a number of times:
France
Wounded 7th July 1916 (start of the Battle of the Somme)
Wounded 13th October 1916 (end of the Battle of the Somme)
Wounded 29th July 1917

He was awarded the 1915 Star, British & Victory medals, however, it seems these were stripped from him due to some civil conviction and he was discharged due to bad conduct (maybe because of the police conviction).

Kind regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby apowell » Wed May 13, 2020 5:13 pm

Hi,

He enlisted in the Royal Tank Corp just after the war 1919 but that seems to have been when he got into trouble with the police and was convicted of some civil crime but that wasn't listed or if he went to prison. It must've been serious because the Authorities seemed to have stripped him of his war medals and he was a Sgt during the war serving with the Sherwood Forrester (Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire Regiment).

Does this make any sense?

Adrian
apowell

Postby apowell » Wed May 13, 2020 5:16 pm

Hi,

Ann Elson married Albert T Lloyd Wellington, Shropshire 1913

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby Katykat » Thu May 14, 2020 5:40 am

Oooo, thanks so much Apowell. I will enjoy adding this to my tree.
Katykat

Postby apowell » Thu May 14, 2020 11:05 am

Hi Kath,

You're most welcome.

I've managed to track down his Regiment and Battalion which opens a lot of doors for us.

He served with the 1st Bn Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment (Sherwood Foresters) and was promoted to Company Sgt Major (important rank).

He was in hospital in France twice to my knowledge both early 1916 with influenza and then (Battle of Somme) shrapnel wounds to left hand and back. On the same document, he was admitted with 7 others all suffering shrapnel wounds from the same Regiment and Battalion, wonder if they were in the same company and all hit at the same time. Albert took part on the Somme and was probably wounded during the Battle of Albert (below).

1st Bn Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment

Opening phase: the Battle of Albert, 1 – 13 July 1916
In this opening phase, the French and British assault broke into and gradually moved beyond the first of the German defensive systems. For the British, the attack on 1 July proved to be the worst day in the nation’s military history in terms of casualties sustained. It is the aspect of the battle that is most remembered and most written about, and for good reason – but to concentrate on the failures is to entirely miss the point of the Somme and why the battle developed into an epic period of the Great War.On the first day, British forces at the southern end of the British line made an impressive advance alongside the French Sixth Army, capturing the villages of Montauban and Mametz and breaking through the enemy’s defensive system. North of Mametz the attack was an almost unmitigated failure. The situation led to a redirection of effort, with the offensive north of the River Ancre effectively being closed down and all future focus being on the line south of Thiepval. There was a stiff fight for Trones Wood and costly, hastily planned and piecemeal attacks that eventually took La Boisselle, Contalmaison and Mametz Wood during the rest of the period up to 13 July.

Download this for free and it's the war diaries for Albert's Battalion during 1916
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... /C14017284

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby apowell » Thu May 14, 2020 11:17 am

Hi,

Download this on the same site for free, Albert's medal card and I'm afraid it confirms that his medals were forfeited due to imprisonment.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... r/D3697619

I'm stuck when it states that he served in Gallipoli 1915 with the tank Corp because I was under the impression that the Tank Corp didn't see service until 1916 onwards, need to ask around on that one.

Albert was a real part of history and saw service at the very beginning of the tank revolution, I've never researched such an interesting character and would've loved to have met and talked to him.

Regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby apowell » Thu May 14, 2020 1:15 pm

This photo was taken 1916 soldiers 1st Btn Notts & Derby Regiment, wonder if Albert was there.
Attachments
Q780.jpg
Q780.jpg (98.6 KiB) Viewed 6495 times
apowell

Postby apowell » Thu May 14, 2020 1:16 pm

This explains the reason why Albert forfeited his medals under the Army regulations.
Attachments
897930017_KR392Para10.jpg.ae71a3ae08bef5232df14749026d7464.jpg
897930017_KR392Para10.jpg.ae71a3ae08bef5232df14749026d7464.jpg (95.02 KiB) Viewed 6495 times
apowell

Postby Katykat » Thu May 14, 2020 3:37 pm

I cant help feeling a slight sense of injustice. No matter what his indiscretions were, there is no doubt he did more than his bit during WW1. Despite being wounded 3 times ( twice during the battle of the Somme) he still re enlisted in 1919. No wonder he went off the rails.
Well done Apowell, loved reading this
Katykat

Postby Katykat » Thu May 14, 2020 3:54 pm

This is the information that Gardener found out about Albert. This 2nd marriage took place after he re enlisted in 1919 and is probably the reason for his imprisonment. Also, it seems he deserted.

SERGEANT-MAJOR'S ALLEGED BIGAMY. THREE WOMEN THE CASE. Albert Thomas Lloyd, a Company-Sergeant- Major of tbe Ist Depot Battalion, Tank Corps, Worgret Camp, has been committed by the Wareham County Bench for trial at Dorset Assises (January 22nd) on the charge of having married Elsie May Needham, his former wife being then alive. t Annie Lloyd, living at 2, Church-street, Wellington (Salop), who held a baby in her arms stated she was the wife of defendent,to whom ......"

"... (Derbyshire) on November 29th, 1919, and she produced the certificate. At that time accused was company-sergeant-major the Tank Corps, stationed at Worgret Camp. She had lived with prisoner at Stoborough and Bidge until December 4th last, when he deserted ..."

Published: Friday 14 January 1921
Newspaper: Western Gazette
County: Somerset, England

Another report gives his age as 28. So the same name, same county and same age.

These marriages?

Marriages Sep 1913

Elson Ann Lloyd Wellington Sh. 6a 1633
Lloyd Albert T Elson Wellington Sh. 6a 1633

Marriages Dec 1919
Lloyd Albert T Needham Bakewell 7b 2332
Needham Elsie M Lloyd Bakewell 7b 2332
Katykat

Postby apowell » Fri May 15, 2020 9:46 am

Hi,

What we've found on Albert ceases to amaze with all the stuff he did and not forgetting the horrors of war he'd witnessed and took part in, I wondered if the war had affected his mental state but he seemed to have been a rum un' pre-war year.

I'm so glad that we uncovered all this information, warts and all.

Kind regards
Adrian
apowell

Postby Katykat » Fri May 15, 2020 3:44 pm

It’s one of the reasons it is taking me so long to work through the family tree. I find a snippet of information and I want to know the story behind it, as you say, warts and all. You are right, what those guys went through must have had some bearing on the rest of their lives. Today, we call it PTSD, but they just had to adapt any way they could. But an interesting character nevertheless.
Thanks again.
Katykat

Return to Researching Individuals