Understanding my DNA results...HELP!!!!

Discussion of DNA research techniques and web sites. Please do not post DNA data relating to individuals.

Moderators: grangers14, admin

Understanding my DNA results...HELP!!!!

Postby Vickiegee » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:29 pm

Hi all!

So this board doesn't seem particulary popular but I'm hoping somebody could help me...

I received my daughters DNA results this week after having mine done afew months ago. Mine said I was 60% English yet my Daughter showed 0% English... How is this possible? I really can't understand how this is possible and it is hurting my brain trying to work it out. Haha. Thanks in advance,
V x
Vickiegee

Re: Understanding my DNA results...HELP!!!!

Postby gardener » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:40 pm

Hi
Were they tested by the same company?

There is an article here that might help a bit

https://www.kqed.org/futureofyou/439059 ... -dna-tests
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Vickiegee » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:05 am

Thank you, yes the same company. Odd isnt it! Thank you I will have a read of the article at work. Although all the ones I have found so far all have a small percentage of their parents biggest percentage and are querying that. But to have 0% to my 60% seems extra bizarre and unlikley wouldnt you say?
Vickiegee

Postby gardener » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:04 pm

Yes, it seems odd to me. Perhaps you could ask for an explanation, see what they say.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby peterd » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:10 pm

Vickiegee wrote:Thank you, yes the same company. Odd isnt it! Thank you I will have a read of the article at work. Although all the ones I have found so far all have a small percentage of their parents biggest percentage and are querying that. But to have 0% to my 60% seems extra bizarre and unlikley wouldnt you say?

who was it with? they may have a small sample base to work from, mine and my mother differ on Ireland but that due to my father having Irish on his side as well she might of not picked up any or very little of your English DNA, DNA prediction do have a % of leeway
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Vickiegee » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:02 pm

It was with myheritage. i really dont know what to start with it. Just seems such a big difference...
Vickiegee

Postby peterd » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:24 pm

Vickiegee wrote:It was with myheritage. i really dont know what to start with it. Just seems such a big difference...

there is a difference with site I downloaded a copy of my raw DNA from Ancestry and added to find my past for a distant cousin to help her with her tree, the same sample between the two side are different. personally I think ancestry has the biggest database so therefore are more accurate result, you could see if you can upload to ancestry see what their predictions are ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Return to DNA Research