Tracing the Jennings line..

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Tracing the Jennings line..

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:20 am

Hi all,
I'm a Jennings by birth so am starting my family tree by tracing back the Jennings line as far as I can go. Have only reached my great great grandparents so far as am finding it all a little overwhelming! Most of my family as far as I know were from London so I'm getting so many search results I just don't know if I'm looking at the right people or not??
I know that my great grandparents were Albert George Jennings born around 1897 and Louisa Jessie Smith born around 1894. I think Albert's parents were Alfred Jennings and Rosa Amelia Bradley but not entirely sure as found several birth records for an Albert George with different mother's maiden names, so very confusing!
If anyone has any tips on how I can be a little more accurate in my research I would appreciate it.. I don't just want to assume I have the right people when I don't, especially as names, dates and places seem to vary from record to record!
If there happen to be any other Jennings family members on here too please say Hi.. we might be related :lol:
Mrs.S2012

Re: Tracing the Jennings line..

Postby BC Wench » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:13 pm

Your Gt. Grandparents marriage

Marriage: 9 March 1918 St Michael, Bromley, London
Albert George Jennings, 21, Bachelor, Sailor, 25 Bright St., Alfred James Jennings, Skilled Labourer
Louisa Jessie Smith, 23, Spinster, Tailoress, 23 Bright St., Portman? Smith, (?) Labourer
Wit: Alfred Jennings, Henry George Johnson

From GRO web site (you have to register, but there's no cost to view the info and you can purchase a certificate from this web site which comes in PDF format and cheaper than ordering from a Register Office, but is not on the usual coloured paper)

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/cert ... efault.asp

JENNINGS, ALBERT GEORGE - Mother's Maiden Name: BRADLY (Spelled Bradly not Bradley)
GRO Reference: 1897 J Quarter in GREENWICH Volume 01D Page 1086

Marriage of the parents of Albert George

Marriage: 21 April 1889 St Peter, Stepney, London
Alfred Jennings, 22, Bachelor, Shopman, 132 Grafton Street, Father: George Jennings, Warehouseman
Rosa Amelia Bradley, 20, Spinster, 52 Grafton Street, Father: James Bradley, Engine Driver
Wit: James Bradley, Esther Maria Bradley

Alfred & Rosa Amelia on Census

1891 Census: Copley Street, Mile End Old Town, Stepney, London
Alfred Jennings, Head.Mar, 23, Brush/shop Manager, Hackney
Rosa A Jennings, Wife, 21, Stepney
Alfred J Jenning, Son, 1, Stepney

1901 Census: Chevet Street, Hackney, London
Alfred Jennings, Head.Mar, 33, General Labourer, Hackney
Rose A Jennings, Wife, 32, Stepney
Alfred J Jennings, Son, 11, Stepney
Rose M Jennings, Dau, 7, St. Giles
Percy H Jennings, Son, 5, Greenwich
Albert G Jennings, Son, 4, Greenwich

I will leave you to carry on from here as the fun is finding out the info yourself. Obviously, if you need any help just holler and someone on this site will help.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:42 pm

This is absolutely fantastic!!
The additional info on the marriages is especially helpful as I know that I have the correct parent details.. I did not realise you could view this much information online.
Thank you so much this is a MASSIVE help :-) :-) :-)
Mrs.S2012

Postby BC Wench » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:54 pm

Your're very welcome. The marriages and censuses were from Ancestry.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:14 pm

I found the census info on findmypast, it's great but good to know that I'm on the right lines, I thought Louisa's parents were Portman and Emma but obviously there are many Smiths so the marriage cert info confirmed it for me.
I've signed up to the GRO website, should be very handy in getting me started. Such a shame that it only starts from 1837, I've hit a bit of a brick wall with my Grt grt grt grandad who was born around 1836 I think.. can't find his birth recorded so struggling to find his parents.. found 3 baptism records with different sets of parents and it's hard to know which is which.. especially as his year of birth seems to change on each census.. might have to come back to him!! :lol:
Mrs.S2012

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:43 pm

BC Wench.. The marriage info you got, where it had occupations and father's names... are those details only available on Ancestry?
I don't have Ancestry as I'm subscribed to findmypast, findmypast will show me marriage records but not father's names or occupations which is the info I really need.
Is there anywhere else I can find that marriage information without having to subscribe to anything else?
Mrs.S2012

Postby grangers14 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Registration only started in July 1837, previous to this there is only Parish records, they very rarely show maiden name of Mothers and Marriages do not include parents names.
Perhaps if there was younger siblings you could check on them and match up?
1841 census is meant to be rounded up to the lower 5 for an adult, so a person 48 should be down as 45. It's not always the case though, so best to search <5> either side of age.
grangers14

Postby grangers14 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:57 pm

Ancestry and findmypast have different info on them. People will help if you get stuck.
If you are searching on findmypast you need to look on the Parish records, they do have them but may not be the area you are looking.
Also
https://www.freereg.org.uk/

This is free and an on going project.
grangers14

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:34 pm

Thank you Grangers14
Unfortunately I can't find him on that website but still a handy link thank you!
I have been searching the Parish records on findmypast, I can find no birth record for a George Jennings in 1836 (this is his birth year according to later census records)
I can only find two birth records for 1839 with two different mothers maiden names, one is Ford the other Yellowby.
I have found several Parish Baptism records, only one for 1836 which lists his parents as Daniel and Mary Ann. There are several others surrounding years, all in London with different parents so how on earth do I work out which is the correct one.. this is where I am stuck and wondering where to go from here?
Mrs.S2012

Postby grangers14 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:22 pm

You can also search here free, to help you along. Better searching the indexed IGI.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

I'm not sure where you are living? If you are close by you could also search local family history centres or local LDS.
I will see if I can see anymore to help.
grangers14

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:03 pm

I'll check out that link thank you.
I'm thinking the baptism record for George in 1836 is the most likely one... I say this because it lists his parents as Daniel and Mary Ann.. and George's first son was called George Daniel.. so makes sense that Daniel would have been his father's name?
I think I will go with that unless anyone here is able to access the marriage details for George Jennings and Mary Jane Morley. I have found the marriage record and it shows they married on 30th May 1858 at St Marys in Lambeth, London. I don't suppose there would be a record with their father's names on it, like in the earlier records?
I'm in Essex.. if there is somewhere to go where I could view these kind of records that would be great!
Mrs.S2012

Postby grangers14 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:07 pm

I am having problems with my internet yet again! :roll:
What I have seen looks like George married Mary Jane Morley in 1858. If you search that marriage see if you can find anything, if not see what we can see?
You can order the certificate, if not.
Don't rush into things, take your time.
Also remember that things can be written wrong and transcribed wrong too.
grangers14

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Yes not all records are completely accurate.
All I can find where I've searched is a date and place of marriage.. be really interested to see their fathers names.
Happy to order a certificate if that's what I have to do as long as it will give me the information I need?
Mrs.S2012

Postby grangers14 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:53 pm

20th June 1858. St Mary Lambeth.
George Jennings, Both of full age, B, Warehouseman, Paradise Street, Daniel William Jennings, (deceased) Greengrocer
Mary Jane Morley, S, Paradise Street, John Morley, Carpenter
After Banns
Both signed.
Witnesses, Mary Morley and J? L Gawler?

The May date you were looking at were Banns.
grangers14

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:55 pm

wow thank you, where did you find this? this is the information I need!!
Mrs.S2012

Next

Return to General Discussion