Fold3 Membership

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Fold3 Membership

Postby Dig » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:41 pm

Hi all,

I've been trying to view a WW1 pension ledger and index card on Ancestry for George Moss, born 1895 in Oldbury. Trouble is, it's telling me that I need to have Fold3 membership to access the record.

Fold3 offer a free trial which you can cancel before you are charged for full membership. I'd never heard of Fold3 before but online reviews don't sound very good with people claiming they were unable to cancel before their free trial ended.

Does anyone on here have any experience of using Fold3? I would really appreciate your opinion and help in accessing this record!

Thank you :P
If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree.
Dig

Re: Fold3 Membership

Postby rockyfowler » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 am

In My experience with fold 3 it refers to docs already known with NO further info when you look at the original entry. They use the National Archives site where if you find the doc and download at a small fee also available at FMP site . It`s really a search engine but I personally wouldn`t subscribe to Kind Regards RF
From Ancestry
Name: George Moss
Birth Date: 1895
Residence Place: Oldbury B'ham
Military Service Region: Midlands, England
Discharge Date: 8 May 1919
Service Number: 81793
Regiment: R.D.C.
Title: Pension Record Cards
Description: Pension Record Ledger
Reference Number: 6/MM/No.359
Next of Kin:
Name Relation to Soldier
George Moss

It`l cost you £3.50

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... r/D4165772
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Dig » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:37 am

Thank you so much! You're a star rockyfowler.
If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree.
Dig

Postby Dig » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:23 am

rockyfowler wrote:https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4165772

Just realised that the link you have provided is for the medal card. I'm interested in the pension ledger.
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (193.16 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
Dig

Postby rockyfowler » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Sorry about that :oops: it appears that they are a unique incomplete set being digitalized by Ancestry so have to cover costs and make profit calling it Fold 3 .No way out if you need to see the record you need to subscribe :cry: I was lucky with mine :roll:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby rockyfowler » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:23 pm

If you are desperate I would use the free trial -it is Ancestry`s site so would not be any problems to cancel :? https://go.fold3.com/special?iid=446
rockyfowler

Postby Dig » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:29 pm

rockyfowler wrote:If you are desperate I would use the free trial -it is Ancestry`s site so would not be any problems to cancel :? https://go.fold3.com/special?iid=446

I would, but I've heard that it's difficult to cancel your subscription before the free trial ends. You have to email them directly and they don't cancel it in time meaning you are charged for full membership. Not sure what to do??
Dig

Postby rockyfowler » Wed May 29, 2019 6:13 am

Free access TODAY only on Fold 3 you can see this document it won`t let you save it except as web page which will prob be inaccessible after today 28 May -best take a pic Regards RF

https://www.fold3.com/image/644436412?x ... 1558424709

It`s gone now 29 May :cry:
rockyfowler

Postby BC Wench » Wed May 29, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks for letting us know about accessing the Fold 3 info RF. I asked on another thread regarding this info and have now found what I was looking for. :-) Doesn't tell me anymore than I already knew, but was worth having a look.

Thanks again.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby rockyfowler » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:12 pm

Glad it helped a bit think they are mainly American records a deal on now with it ----- :wink:
We hope you enjoyed exploring Fold3 during the Memorial Day weekend. Continue to find the people you're proud to call family with a Fold3 membership.

Save 40% on Premium Membership for a Year
now $47.95/yr. was $79.95
Join now!
About $3.99 a month

*Offer available for new Fold3 subscribers only and not for renewal of current subscriptions. Billed in one payment of $47.95 for a one-year subscription. Your subscription will automatically renew at list price after the introductory offer. Offers available until June 9, 2019 at 10:00 p.m. MT by following the links in this email only.
rockyfowler

Postby gardener » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Who on earth thought that was a good logo for the Western Front Association? all I see is an unhappy face :-(
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby peterd » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:01 pm

rockyfowler wrote:If you are desperate I would use the free trial -it is Ancestry`s site so would not be any problems to cancel :? https://go.fold3.com/special?iid=446

you can always do a Print screen and save it as a photo
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Return to Miscellaneous