*Arc TBC* New member searching

Completed discussions and lookup requests. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread re-activated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, peterd

*Arc TBC* New member searching

Postby Neil » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:47 am

I have recently started looking into my family history, building on work previously carried out by a cousin. At this stage I have discovered an ancester who is possibly my great great grandfather, Thomas Holloway. From records it seems he was born c.1779 and was a farmer at Chapel Farm, Halesowen in the early 1800's. Other information is that he was married to a Mary (b/c.1789) and had three children: Mary Ann, Thomas and Daniel Thomas. At the moment I am searching for more information on my GGG and hope that someone can provide hints, clues or anything else that might assist me in going forward.
In hope and with thanks.
Neil Holloway
Victoria, Australia.
Neil

Re: New member searching

Postby peterd » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:12 am

A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby BC Wench » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:35 pm

This looks as though it could be the family you are looking for in the censuses, but you've probably already got these

1841 Census: Chapel House Farm, (Bosom End Road) (Hamlet of Smethwick), Harborne, Staffs
Thomas Holloway, 60, Farmer
Mary Holloway, 50
Mary Holloway, 20
Thomas Holloway, 15
+ 3 Servants
(All not born in County)

1851 Census: Chapel Farm, (Hamlet of Smethwick), Harborne, Staffs
Thomas Holloway, Head.Mar, 72, Farmer 133 Acres employing 6 males
Mary Holloway, Wife, 62
Mary A Holloway, Day.UM, 33, Farmers Dau
Thomas, Son.UM, 30,
Daniel Holloway, Son.UM, 27
+ 2 Servants
(All born Halesowen)

1861 Census: Bosoms End, (Hamlet of Smethwick), Harborne, Worcs
Mary Holloway, Head.Wid, 73, Farmer of 100 acres employing 4 men & 2 boys
Mary Ann Holloway, Dau.UM, 43
Thomas Holloway, Son.UM, 40
Christopher Capper? Serv.UM, 39, Cowman, Kineton, Warks
Sarah Degg, Serv.UM, 14
(Others born Halesowen)

I can't see a marriage for Thomas & Mary.

Baptisms of children from FreeREG https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Baptism: 16 March 1817 Old Church, Smethwick, Staffs
Mary Ann - Parents: Thomas & Mary Holloway - Abode: Londonderry - Father's occ: Farmer

Baptism: 12 March 1820 Old Church, Smethwick, Staffs
Thomas - Parents: Thomas & Mary Holloway - Abode: Londonderry - Father's occ: Farmer

Baptism: 9 March 1823 Old Church, Smethwick, Staffs
Daniel - Parents: Thomas & Mary Holloway - Abode - Halesowen - Father's occ: Farmer

As Thomas, the father, died between the 1851 & 1861 censuses this could be his burial, as all the children are baptised in the Old Church, Smethwick

Burial: 18 March 1852 Old Church, Smethwick, Staffs
Thomas Holloway - Age: 73yrs - Abode: Not given

Could this be Thomas, the father's baptism, again the same Church

Baptism: 23 August 1778 Old Church, Smethwick, Staffs
Thomas - Parents: Thomas & Sarah Holloway

Again, I can't see a marriage for Thomas & Sarah.

The areas around Halesowen are a mine field as they dip in and out of various Counties due to boundary changes. This link explains Smethwick from British History Online.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/s ... 17/pp88-96

then if you type in the search box Halesowen from this page it will explain Halesowen.

You can also try Family Search https://www.familysearch.org You have to register, but there is no cost involved.

Are there any Wills available on Ancestry?
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Neil » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:08 am

Thank you Peter. I searched that site but it seems my family wanted to remain mysterious! Thomas Holloway the farmer is proving difficult to track down.

Thanks too BC Wench. Yes, I do have those census details. I also have a marriage for Daniel Holloway (son of Thomas) down in Hampstead 1857. Thomas attended so he was definitely alive and kicking at this time. Will check out those baptism records.

I must admit to finding the change in counties confusing!
Neil

Postby BC Wench » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:45 pm

Do you have Daniel's original Marriage Certificate from the local Register Office or from the GRO, or is it from one of the subscription web sites? If it is from one of the subscription web sites then this is a copy of the Church's Register and it may be that it wasn't written on that copy that Daniel's father was deceased, but may appear on the original held at the local Register Office or the GRO. Just worth thinking about.

The Church's registers aren't always a true copy of the ones held by the local Register Office. As an example, I have just transcribed an entry from a Church Register and the Bride actually signs Mrs. Vale (her husband's surname being Vale) where she should have signed with her maiden name. I bet a pound to a penny that on the original certificate she signs with her maiden name as otherwise it would be illegal!
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Neil » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:31 pm

Lots of thanks for the information. The marriage certificate I have is from a church register and I suspect you may be right as the brides father signed as witness but not the grooms father. This investigation of family history is a deal trickier than I first thought!
I am also frustrated by the fact that Thomas Holloway and his wife Mary seem to have appeared from nowhere. Despite the census forms showing they were both born in Halesowen I have found no record of such, nor any record of death or marriage. I'm quite confident that Thomas died between 1851 and 1861 and that Mary died between 1861 and 1871. As I drew a blank with the GRO I searched on The Geneologist site but without success. Can you suggest any other place I can try, maybe local registry offices or even churches in the area? Appreciate your time, thanks.
Neil

Postby Jimmy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:28 am

FreeReg,

Smethwick Old Church.
Register entry number 1224.
Burial date 18 Mar 1852.
Thomas HOLLOWAY. age 73.

Smethwick Old Church.
Register entry number 476.
Burial date 19 Mar 1864.
Mary HOLLOWAY. age 77.
Burial person abode Smethwick.
Just trying to do my bit for BCC, bringing families back together.
Jimmy

Postby mallosa » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:06 pm

BC Wench wrote:
I can't see a marriage for Thomas & Mary.

:think: from Freereg...

County Worcestershire
Place Dudley
Church name St Thomas
Register type Unspecified
Register entry number 254
Marriage date 24 Dec 1826
Groom forename Thomas
Groom surname HOLLOWAY
Groom parish Dudley
Groom condition bachelor
Bride forename Mary
Bride surname JONES
Bride parish Dudley
Bride condition spinster
Witness1 forename Elizabeth
Witness1 surname JAMES
Witness2 forename Thomas
Witness2 surname HILL
Notes By Banns-Groom Bride & witness 2 marked X. Witness 1 signed
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Neil » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:08 am

Many thanks for all the information - really appreciate the chance to continue my investigation. I'm now trying to follow up and see where it takes me. One interesting thing I found from Freereg is that a Thomas and Mary Holloway were witnesses the followuing year (1827) to the marriage of William Daley and Mary Holloway at the same church in Dudley. I'm assuming that Thomas and Mary were the same pair that married the previous year so wondering if Thomas had a sister? Onwards and upwards!!
Neil

Postby Waltzer7 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 pm

There was the Holloway family living in Cradley, Halesowen and a big old house named Holloway House off Drews Holloway, almost opposite The Gables (between the entrance of Drews Holloway South and Dencil Close), which was pulled down around 1966. Could this be the same family? I'd have to ask my Dad if he remembers them.
Waltzer7

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:17 pm

Is this completed now?
Northern Lass

Re: *Arc TBC* New member searching

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:35 pm

Moving to BCC Archive.
Northern Lass

Return to Black Country: Archived Topics