William Herbert Nash - COMPLETED

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

William Herbert Nash - COMPLETED

Postby SRD » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Further to my 1939 Register lookup request
I have a William Herbert Nash b 1880 to George & Ellen Maria (née Laker).
I have his baptism, Census records for 1881, 1891, 1901 & 1911, and his war records and death from 'flu whilst a P.O.W. in 1918.
The 1911 Census shows a wife Ada (née Taylor) and son William age 5 born Eastbourne Sussex.
I have Ada's birth in 1877 in Beaulieu, Hampshire and her Census Records in Headley on the Surrey/Hampshireborders and her death and burial in 1949.
I also have a possible death for the son William:
England & Wales Death Index
Date: April May June 1978
Name: NASH, William Herbert
D.o.B: 14 Oct 1905
District: Surrey South Western
Vol: 17
Page: 1194

But I can't find the marriage between William & Ada or their son's birth, or anything else about their son.

Can anyone find them for me please?

Thanks.
Last edited by SRD on Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Re: William Herbert Nash

Postby SRD » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:55 pm

Ok, further to that I'm no longer sure that the William Herbert born 14th October 1905 was William & Ada's son.
Thanks to Maths girl I've found his marriage record to Gladys Mary Heather b. 29th October 1903 (according to the 1939 register & the BirthsIndex) or 1904 (according to her death record).
The Parish Register entry for William & Gladys' marriage has William's father as a bailiff and he isn't marked as deceased whereas Ada's husband was a gardener and was very much deceased. How many b******d William Herbert Nashes were there in Surrey in the first half of the 20th Century?

I still can't find any evidence of William & Ada's son's birth nor can I find any evidence for Glady's husband's birth.

Pretty please, can anyone find any of them?
SRD

Postby Maths girl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:36 am

There were two more William H Nash living in 1939 who had been born 1907 other than that all much earlier or much later ---

368 Stroude Road , Egham U.D
 William H Nash 04 Aug 1907 Male Carpenter & Joiner Married 60 1
 Cicely M Nash 24 Jul 1904 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 60 2

4 Buckhurst Road , Frimley and Camberley U.D
 William H Nash 10 Aug 1907 Male Grocers Shop Assistant Heav Wor Married 129 1
 Ivy V Nash 23 Sep 1906 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 129 2

There are numerous Just William!!
Maths girl

Postby grangers14 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:02 pm

Who were the witnesses to the marriage?
grangers14

Postby grangers14 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:28 pm

And do you think Bailiff as in Farm Bailiff? Looks like Galdy´s father in 1939 was a Park Groundsman Boro Council Guilford...
grangers14

Postby SRD » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:21 am

The other William H's are Henry's and can be tracked through Electoral Registers.

Witnesses were P Heather and one that's difficult to read, it may be A Hamms or Harris

If referring to Ada's husband I presume he was a farm bailiff but, if its a different William Herbert, then he may have been a court official. It's not impossible for Ada's husband to have become a farm bailiff, he had been an agricultural labourer and then a domestic gardener at a farm, but then that might have been an assumption on behalf of the census taker because he lived in "Gardener's Cottage", he may easily have risen to being a bailiff. Or, if he was deceased and it just wasn't entered on the marriage record, it may well have been the exaggeration of a son whose father had been killed in the war. But these are all 'ifs', we don't allow 'ifs' in genealogy do we?

That's quite a change for Gladys' father John, he had been a dental mechanic in the 1911 census and on the 1930 marriage record.
SRD

Postby grangers14 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:59 am

You know really it would be best to a childs birth cert and start from scratch with mothers maiden name... You don´t know that William came from Surrey just he lived there...
No point climbing the wrong tree.
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby SRD » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:09 am

Thanks, unfortunately buying birth certificates isn't an option, and anyway, how can I get a certificate if I haven't got a birth reference? And he wasn't born in Surrey, according to the 1911 census William & Ada's son was born in Eastbourne, but there aren't any references there either, that's why I can't be sure that the William Herbert who married Gladys is actually their son apart from the 1939 register entry that puts his birth date closer than any other William Herbert registered around that time.
Add that I can find no other William Herbert (father) that matches the record on William & Gladys marriage in 1930 other than the one that died in 1918 and you can see why I'm baffled by this one.

If we then take into account that I can find no record of William & Ada's marriage (which means that Ada might not have been Ada Taylor at all apart from her birth record matching the census records), so their son might have been born Taylor, but there's still no record of a William Taylor being born.... but there is
Births Dec 1905 (>99%)
Taylor William Herbert N Hailsham 2b 83 :roll:

(There are a couple of places starting with East in the Hailsham registration district even if Eastbourne isn't one of them)

Thanks for making me go through it all again whilst checking each step on the way, I think we've found William's birth record, the N is presumably Nash and the 1911 census suggestion that William (father) married Ada in 1904 is probably a smokescreen to hide William's (son) illegitimacy.

It doesn't get us round the marriage record but I'm a step further on.
SRD

Postby SRD » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:05 pm

Ok, I think that marriage is sorted, William & Ada married in Eastbourne last quarter 1910, apparently the record shows up on FMP.
SRD

Re: William Herbert Nash - COMPLETED

Postby SRD » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:49 pm

Thanks. This can be archived.
SRD

Return to Archived General Discussion