Ancestry.com and MyHeritage.com

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Ancestry.com and MyHeritage.com

Postby GreekEnglishGal » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:42 pm

I have both, except I do not pay for the info/research on the Myheritage site. Does anyone on here have it? Do you get more information?

I like both for different reasons. On Ancestry, you can see your tree all generations all organized and pretty. It's very user-friendly. Research is pretty good, the hints can be right on the mark or lead you somewhere completely off.

On MyHeritage.com, you have to pay more just to get more than 300 ancestors on there and then you have to pay more to get the actual research. BUT, they do really cool things like make reports on your heritage, perform all kinds of statistics, map out where everyone is from, check for discrepancies, I haven't even figured it all out yet. It also seems like there are many more international family trees.

Should I pay for the research? Just afraid it will give me exactly what ancestry.com gives. I have noticed that a lot of people on there use both.

Thank you kindly for any advice :)
GreekEnglishGal

Re: Ancestry.com and MyHeritage.com

Postby SRD » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:02 am

I use the paid for MyHeritage pretty much as a back up site as it can carry so much more info and their stand alone Family Tree Builder for most of my actual work, as I have access to Ancestry at local libraries I rarely use MyHeritage's info and found their 'hints' to be frequently inaccurate. I've been with them for a while on their cheaper package but as my tree grew I needed more space and was able to negotiate a cheaper deal than their full price for the larger package.
I also have my tree on my own website powered by phpgedview.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Rhinoceros » Mon May 30, 2016 6:38 am

I personally stick with Ancestry alone - easier to use one tool at a time instead of two.
Rhinoceros

Postby grangers14 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:58 am

I am moving this over to the software section.
Jo :)
grangers14

Return to Software