BURTON Family gypsies

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

BURTON Family gypsies

Postby Karmal77 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Hi I am currently trying to find as much information as I can on the BURTON family who lived in Warwickshire and then moved around the Dorset and Somerset areas.

My 4x Great Grandparents were Henry + Dove Burton who were King+Queen of the gypsies in Wincanton in the mid 1800's.

Anyone who can shed any light on them or who may have a family connection to them, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Karen
Karmal77

Re: BURTON Family gypsies

Postby SRD » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:05 am

The Somerset & Dorset Family History Society might be able to help.
There's a mention of Harry Burton on the Wincanton Museum Site scroll down to 1847.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby peterd » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:08 pm

A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby peterd » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:12 pm

here a reference

1791 Shillingstone Baptisms August 21st James BURTON; Henry & Dove; Gypsies

also

http://www.gypsyjib.com/page/Norman+Bur ... rah+Burton
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby fred » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:55 pm

Hi ,
I realise this thread is several years old but I have the following info that might be of use to someone researching Henry/Harry Burton , King of the gypsies .

Parish Burials : HARRY BURTON , aged 94yrs , of Wincanton Workhouse , buried 14th July 1847 at St Peter & St Paul , Wincanton , Somerset .
DOVE BURTON , of Workhouse ,aged 95yrs , buried 27th Feb 1846 at St Peter & St Paul , Wincanton , Somerset .

Parish Marriage : HENRY BURTON of Great Besley , Cambs , married DOVE HARES of Downton , Somerset , resident of Tetbury , on 30th Dec 1783 at St Mary the Virgin , Tetbury , Gloucs . Witnesses J. Chamberlin & R M Warmin .

Parish Baptisms : MARY BURTON , d/o Harry & Dove , bpt 1st Dec 1793 at Pimperne , Stourpaine , Dorset
THOMAS BURTON , s/o Henry & Dove , bpt 15th June 1806 at St Mary , Yarlington , Somerset
LUCY BURTON , d/o Henry & Dov , " gypsy traveller " , bpt 24th June 1820 at Blessed Virgin Mary , Wanstrow , Somerset .

I am researching a connection between a Maria Lock , of Hawkesbury , Gloucs , & a James Burton . Several sites state that James was Maria's 1st husband however I have not been able to find any record of this . Anyone help . Cheers
fred

Return to General Discussion