Help and advice needed please

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Help and advice needed please

Postby little pam » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:03 pm

I am kind of new to this still but have been looking on the FreeBMD and Family Search etc and have got back to my G G Granddad but would like to see what else i can find. but am now thinking of maybe subscribing to a Genealogy site such as Ancestry or Find my family etc can anyone tell me what they have which the other free sites don't have as to me to spend a lot of money if there is nothing else to be gained from subscribing to it I know it seems a lot of you belong to Ancestry so help and advice would be much appreciated thanks

Pam :)
little pam

Re: Help and advice needed please

Postby Antie Em » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi Pam - you can find some free records online, but if you are seriously researching your family, you will need to subscribe to either Ancestry or Find My Past. You can of course go to your local library and have free access to Ancestry, most local libraries offer this.

Maggie :-)
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:23 am

:( I'm an Old Age Pensioner littlepam so i have to watch my pennies.I'd love to subscribe to Ancestry and Find My Past but unfortunately i had to choose between them and i chose Ancestry. I'm pleased with what Ancestry has to offer.Is it free at the local libraries in England then Antie Em? That's good isn't it.
Rob

Postby Antie Em » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Poor Rob :cry: - I'm a pensioner, but I'm not old age yet - maybe next year when I get to 71 and I'll probably still be working :-)
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby gardener » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi
You should have access to Ancestry at Clevedon library http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Leisure/li ... ary.aspx#b
and old newspapers too http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Leisure/li ... vices.aspx

(and just ignore any banter between Rob and Auntie-Em - they love each other really)
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Return to Software