Earl of Dudley -various Histories-descendants

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Earl of Dudley -various Histories-descendants

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:48 am

Neville Bastable wrote:Henry VIIÃ's (1457-1509) younger daughter surviving into adulthood was Mary Tudor (1496-1533) who in 1515 married Charles Brandon (1485-1545) who had been created Duke of Suffolk in 1514 by his friend Henry VIII (Mary's brother).

Charles and MaryÃ's elder daughter Frances Brandon(1517-1559) married Henry Grey (1514-executed1554) 3rd Marquess of Dorset who was created Duke of Suffolk in 1551 on the death of Charles and Mary's son Henry who had succeeded his father as Duke.

Henry and Frances Grey were the parents of the well known Lady Jane Grey (1537-executed 1554) but it was their second daughter Katherine (1539-1568) who interests us as she fell in love with and in 1560 secretly married Edward Seymour (1539-1621) the Earl of Hertford.

Edward was the son of “Protector Somerset that was Queen Jane Seymour's brother Edward Seymour (executed in 1552) who had been created Viscount Beauchamp of Hache** in 1536, Earl of Hertford in 1537, Duke of Somerset in in 1547 and who incidentally was himself descended from King Edward III.

But back to the elopers young Edward and Katherine, we are now in the reign of Queen Elizabeth who was so mad at them when she found out she slapped them both in the Tower of London, but Katherine was already pregnant and gave birth to another Edward Seymour (1539-1612) who eventually was Baron Beauchamp of Hache**.

This Edward married a lady named Honora Rodgers and their daughter Honora Seymour (1593-1620) married Ferdinando Sutton (1588-1621) son of Edward 5th Baron Dudley and that is where we came in.

“Hache is a village in Somerset near Taunton called Hatch Beauchamp. In the 14th Century Sir Roger Seymour an ancestor of “Protector Somerset had married Cecily de Beauchamp, heiress of Baron John de Beauchamp of Hache.

Sorry I went on a bit but I hope members found this interesting.
Neville Bastable

added by NL..
Neville Bastable wrote:..the descent of the Dudley titles is quite complicated
I thought it might be useful to list the direct ancestors (without too much detail) of the present Earls from Edward Sutton 5th Baron Dudley, which does include of course repeating some we have already covered and omitting siblings and also title holders in the 17th and 18th Centuries who are not in this direct line.
Descent in every case is from father/mother to son/daughter:-

Edward Sutton 5th Baron Dudley 1567-1643.Was married to Theodosia Harrington
Ferdinando Sutton died 1621. Was married to Honora Seymour
Frances Sutton 6th Baroness Dudley 1611-1697.Married Humble Ward who became 1st Baron Ward
William Ward (brother of the heir) died1713. Was married to Anne Parker.
William Ward died1720. Was married to Mary Grey.
Rev.William Ward, rector of Himley died 1758. Was married to Elizabeth Harkes.
Humble Ward 1755 to 1785. Was married to Susannah Beecroft.
Rev.William Humble 10 th Baron Ward 1881-1835. inherited title from a second cousin. Was married to Amelia Pillans
William Ward 11th Baron Ward created 1st Earl of Dudley (2nd creation) 1818-1885 married to Georgina Moncrieffe.
William Humble Ward 2nd Earl of Dudley 1867-1932 married to Rachel Gurney.
William Humble Eric Ward 3rd Earl of Dudley 1894 –1969 married to Rosemary Leveson-Gower
William Humble David Ward 4th Earl of Dudley born 1920 and still living, married Stella Morra.
William Humble David Jeremy Ward Viscount Ednam born 1947 and still living.

I hope this makes things a little clearer for members as I know from past experience that this is the part that really bewilders people.
My knees quaked when Northern Lass suggested we might like to attempt to unpick these Dudleys. We are doing our best !
Neville
Northern Lass

Re: Earl of Dudley -various Histories.

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:50 am

Neville Bastable wrote:Details of the descent, father to son in every case are as follows:-
1st Baron Dudley, John Sutton (1401-1487) married to Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Berkeley.
|
Edmund Sutton married to Joyce, daughter if Lord Tiptoft.
|
2nd Baron Dudley, Edward Sutton (1457-1508) married to Cecelia, daughter of Sir William Willoughby.
|
3rd Baron Dudley, John Sutton (1495-1553) married Cecily **, daughter of Thomas Grey, Marquess of Dorset.
**Cecily was the great aunt of the unfortunate Lady Jane Grey. Ironically Lady Jane was the daughter in law of John Dudley Duke of Northumberland who was 2nd cousin to the 3rd Baron Dudley.
|
4th Baron Dudley, Edward Sutton (1525-1586) married to Lady Jane, daughter of Edward Stanley 3rd Earl of Derby.
|
5th Baron Dudley, Edward Sutton (1556-1643) married to Theodosia, daughter of Sor James Harrington

One or two of the Barons remarried but I have only listed mothers of the next heir.

note.
By act of parliament a few years ago the Barony of Dudley was restored for a descendant of the Dudley Lee family and the present incumbant is Jim Anthony Hill Wallace born 1930. He is the 15th Baron Dudley.
Neville
Northern Lass

Re: Earl of Dudley -various Histories.

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:51 am

sp1 wrote:I have recently acquired a copy of Grazebrooks history of the Dudley family, which considerably expands on the information posted mainly by Neville. Where to begin... I could simply add posts to the section when time allows, or is there any likelihood of connecting any of the families on BCC from this information : - I think a significant omission from BCC is the descendants of Elizabeth Tomlinson, and her well researched descendants, including the Bagley family, the connection to Abraham Darby, and, ....I seem to recall, some of these people are ancestors of President Nixon!?

I have notes somewhere regarding the Darby family in Gornal being descendants, and also one of the Hickman branches in Sedgley, not to mention the Dudley family of Tipton who were a seemingly seperate family, but connect via intermarriage between the two Dudley families! As noted by Grazebrook.

I tend to believe Grazebrook, he had time and resources that most of us couldn't get close to now, plus he is almost a cousin- his brother married one of my Pearson cousin's after they eloped when she jumped out of the bedroom window ( it doesn't tell you that in Burkes LG!) It's a shame he didn't follow the lines down another generation or two - it would have answered a lot of questions.

Two volumes of 'Collections for a History of Staffordshire' (which are out of copyright) contain notes and genealogies of the Dudley family:
they can be downloaded from here:

Volume 9 deals with the Barons of Dudley:
http://archive.org/details/collectionsforhi09stafuoft

Volume 10 deals with the family of Edward Sutton and Elizabeth Tomlinson and their descendants, and also the Dudley family of Tipton. It also includes will transcripts, and parish register entries from Dudley (both St Edmunds and St Thomas), Sedgley and elsewhere:
http://archive.org/details/collectionsforhi10stafuoft

The volumes also included large fold-out pedigree charts which are not included with the above downloads. They can be found here:
http://www.nltaylor.net/things/Grazebrook_foldouts.pdf

The above site also has 'Additions to Grazebrooks The Barons of Dudley' by WF Carter and GP Mander:
http://www.nltaylor.net/things/Grazebrook_1941.pdf
Northern Lass

JANE DUDLEY Dau of 5th Barron Edward Sutton &Elizabeth Tomli

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:52 am

Neville Bastable wrote:Surnames were a bit fluid in those days, but in this case what is generally accepted is that, although Sutton was the Barony of Dudley surname, so Edward 5th Baron was Edward Sutton, his illegitimate children were described as Dudley, so we have in this thread
Jane Dudley daughter of Edward Sutton.
Jane Dudley b abt 1589 (Dau of Edward Sutton Dudley 5th Baron of Dudley and Elizabeth Tomlinson)
who married about 1609 Richard Parkeshouse (sometimes called Parkes or even Pearsehouse ) of Sedgley.

To clarify matters a little Edward Sutton (1567-1643) 5th Baron of Dudley whose known ancestry can be traced back to the time of William the Conqueror did have a wife named Theodosia Harrington.
It was an arranged marriage and they had 4 (I think) Sutton children living in London from one of which Ferdinando, the present Earl of Dudley descends.
The title of Earl of Dudley wasn't created until the 19th Century.

Here we are concerned with Edward's subsequent meeting and falling in love with Elizabeth Tomlinson the beautiful sister of his gamekeeper's wife who bore him at least 11 children in Dudley to each of which was attached the surname Dudley.
These children were all acknowledged we believe, brought up well and mostly married locally.
It is likely that they have many descendants around here today and it would be nice to find out if you are one of them.
There are likely to be a number of people surnamed Dudley brought about by the liaison between Edward Sutton 5th Baron Dudley and a local girl Elizabeth Tomlinson.

There were four sons to the Baron's illicit relationship,
John and Edward dying young
but eldest son Robert Dudley (1587-1653) living and dying at Netherton Hall and his wife Margaret and youngest brother *Dud Dudley ( 1599- 1684) of iron smelting fame who married Eleanor Heaton (1606-1675), both I think produced families.

Note...About Richard Parkeshouse, *Dud Dudley another of Edward the 5th Baron's brood by Elizabeth Tomlinson wrote a book called Metallum Martis in 1665 describing his earlier experiments smelting iron with coal reather than charcoal.
He consistantly refers to Richard Parkeshouse his brother in law, who helped in some way as “Parkes.
This further variant of the family name might mean that some of us with ancestors of that name might be able to claim descent from thr Noble Lord, myself included as I have a 3 times great grandmother Phoebe Parks (1784-1834).
See bcconnections.
http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... =676251233

submitted
Jane Dudley or Sutton
Birth: About 1588 Of, Dudley, Stafford, England
Burial: Prob,Hurstmonceux Ch, , Sussex, England
Father: Sir Edward Sutton or Dudley
Mother: Elizabeth Tomlinson
Spouse: Richard Parkhouse
Marriage: 19 OCT 1609

It is understood that of Jane Dudley and Richard Parkeshouse Children,
daughter Margaret Parkeshouse(Persehouse) born about 1614 married a John Darby
Children are..
Jane born 1644,
Edward born 1645 (Carl's Higgs ancestor),
John born 1649 (Abraham Darby's father)
andThomas born 1653.
Interestingly the family I understand at this time became Quakers.

They were the grandparents of Abraham Darby of Coalbrookdale (1678-1717) who pioneered the use of coal for smelting iron.
Thanks to Carl Higgs for this info.
I believe Carl researches revealed he descends from Abraham Darbys uncle and therefore also from the ancient barony of Dudley.
The Parkeshouse (Persehouse) family is also quite interesting and apparently it is from them we have Parkes Hall, Woodsetton.

Jane Dudley and Richard Parkeshouse also had a son Edward.
All Saints Church, Sedgley has a carved pew commemorating Ricardus Parkshouse.
There is also a memorial tablet to Edward Pershouse who is actually Richard's son, demonstrating that either name seems valid.
Included on Edward's memorial are details of both his first and second wives.
These were Elizabeth Bradley and Margaret Asteley so presumably there would be Persehouse descendants in this line.
Northern Lass

Robert Dudley son of 5th Barron Dudley&Elizabeth Tomlinson

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:57 am

Neville Bastable wrote:Netherton Hall in the 17th Century belonged to the Barony of Dudley and was the home until 1653 when he died of Robert Dudley, wife Anne and his family. Robert born 1587 was the eldest son of Edward 5th Baron Dudley and his mistress Elizabeth Tomlinson.
Robert's children were:-
Edward born 1625.
Ward born 1630.
John born1632.
Robert born 1633.
Walter born 1636.
Thomas born 1639.
Jane 1642.

jessiboo wrote:Is this the same Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester as well?

Neville Bastable wrote:jessiboo,sorry I missed picking up your question earlier. The answer is no,this is a completely different Robert Dudley.
Neville Bastable

gardener wrote:
Neville Bastable wrote:jessiboo,sorry I missed picking up your question earlier. The answer is no,this is a completely different Robert Dudley.
Neville Bastable

I think they must have been related in some convoluted way :roll:

Robert Dudley 1st Earl of Leicester (1532-1588) was the son of John Dudley Ist Duke of Northumberland (1502-1553)

Edward Dudley 5th Baron Dudley (1567-1643) was the son of Edward Sutton 4th Baron Dudley (1525-1586); and Edward was the son of John Sutton 3rd Baron Dudley.

John Sutton was called Lord Quondam meaning Lord Has-been or Lord Formerly because he allowed his cousin to take over his lands, including Dudley Castle. His cousin was John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland. After northumberland was executed because of the Lady Jane Grey episode Dudley Casstle returned to the Crown and in 1555 Edward sutton 4th Baron got it back and was reinstated.

John Sutton 3rd Baron Dudley seems to have been 3rd cousin of John Dudley 1st Duke of Northumberland so I make it that Robert Dudley Earl of Leicester and Robert Sutton of Netherton Hall were 4th cousins twice removed :lol:

But I may have worked it out wrong and it is confusing that the name Sutton and Dudley are both used!

Sites used: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/SUTTON.htm ... on%20Hall1 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Sutton

Neville Bastable wrote:gardener,
Absolutely correct, these two Robert Dudleys were fourth cousins twice removed, their shared ancestor being John 1st Baron Dudley (1401-1487), Robert Earl of Leicester (1533-1588) being his great great grandson and Robert of Netherton Hall (1587-1653)his 4 times greatgrandson.
jessiboo,
Robert Earl of of Leicester was very much a figure of national importance of course whilst Robert of Netherton Hall was just a local dignitary.
Neville Bastable
Northern Lass

Elizabeth Dudley dau of 5th Barron Dudley &Elizabeth Tomlins

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:06 am

Neville Bastable wrote:Having been married as a child within the aristocracy Edward 5th Baron Dudley later had a large illegitimate family by a local girl Elizabeth Tomlinson. The numbers are disputed but I am listing 6 daughters with details of their marriages if any members are interested in researching whether they or their friends might be descended from the ancient barony of Dudley.
Firstly Elizabeth Dudley born about 1588 who in about 1609 married Geoffrey Dudley of Russells Hall.

peterd wrote:this anything ?
subbmitted
Elizabeth Dudley
Birth: Russels Hall,Wigom, Rusthall, Kent, England
Spouse: Geoffrey Dudley
Marriage: 29 JAN 1611 <Russels Hall,Wigom, Rusthall, Kent,

submitted
Elizabeth Dudley
Birth: About 1595 Of, Dudley, Worcester, England
Burial: 28 MAR 1647 Dudley, Worcester, England
Father: Lord Edward Dudley
Mother: Elizabeth Tominson
Spouse: Jeffery Sutton or Dudley Family
Marriage: 29 JAN 1611 Tipton, , Worcester,

FarSide wrote:Submitted
Thomas Dudley
Birth: 25 APR 1613 Russell Hall, , Kent, England
Christening: Dudley, Worcester, England
Burial: 24 JAN 1665 Dudley, Worcester, England
Father: Jeffery Dudley or Sutton Family
Mother: Elizabeth Dudley
Spouse: Eleanor Jevon Family
Marriage: 14 SEP 1638 Pedmon, , Worcester

Submitted
Robert Dudley
Christening: 27 JAN 1621 Dudley, Worcester, England
Burial: 07 SEP 1682
Parents:
Father: Jeffery Dudley or Sutton

Extracted
MARY DUDLEY
Christening: 17 SEP 1635 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Parents:
Father: JEFFERY DUDLEY
Mother: ELYZABETH

These only have fathers name.

Extracted
EDWARD DUDLEY
Christening: 15 JAN 1626 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Death: 06 FEB 1625 ???
Parents:

JEFFERY DUDLEY
Christening: 16 DEC 1619 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Parents:

ELYZABETH DUDLEY
Birth: 16 JUN 1633 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Parents:

JOHN DUDLEY
Christening: 22 AUG 1624 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Parents:

WILLYAM DUDLEY
Christening: 24 JUN 1630 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Death: 25 NOV 1632
Parents:

see submitted one above..
ROBART DUDELEY
Christening: 27 JAN 1621 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Parents:
Father: JEFFERY DUDELEY

FarSide wrote:Summary
Jeffery Dudley son of Geoffrey Dudley and Elizabeth - marries an Ann, kids (poss more this is all I could find) -:

Mary b 1654 d 1654 (not sure if these are twins or the same person)
Ann b 1654 d 1654
John b 1655 d 1656
Mary b 1657
Sarah b 1661
Eleanor b 1663
Jeffery b 1665 marries Ann Hawkes

JEFFERY DUDLEY
Christening: 16 DEC 1619 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Parents:

Submitted
Jeffery Dudley
Parents:
Father: Jeffery Dudley
Mother: Elizabeth
Marriages:
Spouse: Ann
Marriage: About 1644 Of, Dudley, Worcester

Poss kids -:

Submitted
John Dudley
Birth: 1655 Dudley, , , England
Death: 1656
Parents:
Father: Geoffery Dudley
Mother: Anne

Submitted
Jeffery Dudley
Birth: About 1665 W Bromwich, , Worcester, England
Death: 06 JUL 1704
Parents:
Father: Jeffery Sutton or Dudley
Mother: Mrs. Ann Dudley
Marriages:
Spouse: Ann Hawkes
Marriage: 1686

Submitted
Mary Dudley
Birth: 1657 Dudley Hall, , Stafford, England
Parents:
Father: Jeoffery Dudley
Mother: Anne

Poss twins...??
Extracted
MARY DUDLY
Birth: 06 MAR 1654 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Death: 09 MAR 1654
Parents:
Father: JEFFERY DUDLY OR SUTTON
Mother: ANN

Extracted
ANN DUDLY
Birth: 06 MAR 1654 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Death: 08 MAR 1654
Parents:
Father: JEFFERY DUDLY OR SUTTON
Mother: ANN

Submitted
Sarah Dudley
Birth: About 1661 W Bromwich, , Worcester, England
Parents:

Submitted
Eleanor Dudley
Birth: About 1663 W Bromwich, , Worcester, England
Parents:

John Dudley son of Geoffrey Dudley and Elizabeth - marries a Martha, kids (poss more this is all I could find) -:
Ann c 1652
Edward c 1664

JOHN DUDLEY
Christening: 22 AUG 1624 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Parents:

Submitted
JOHN DUDLEY
Birth: 22 AUG 1624
Parents:
Father: JEFFREY DUDLEY
Mother: ELIZABETH
Marriages:
Spouse: MRS. MARTHA DUDLEY Family
Marriage: About 1663 Dudley, Worcester

and
Submitted
John Dudley
Christening: 22 AUG 1624 Dudley, Worcester, England
Death: 16 SEP 1698
Marriages:
Spouse: Mrs. Martha Dudley
Marriage: About 1651 Of, Dudley, Worcester

Poss kids -:
EDWARD DUDLY
Christening: 19 FEB 1664 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Parents:
Father: JOHN DUDLY
Mother: MARTHA

Submitted
An Dudley
Christening: 10 AUG 1652 Dudley, Worcester, England
Parents:
Father: John Dudley
Mother: Martha

FarSide wrote:
Submitted
Robert Dudley
Christening: 27 JAN 1621 Dudley, Worcester, England
Burial: 07 SEP 1682
Parents:
Father: Jeffery Dudley or Sutton

see submitted one above..
ROBART DUDELEY
Christening: 27 JAN 1621 Saint Thomas, Dudley, Worcester, England
Parents:
Father: JEFFERY DUDELEY

Marriages:
Spouse: Mrs. Eleanor Dudley

Thomas Dudley son of Geoffrey Dudley and Elizabeth - marries Eleanor Jevons, kids so far -:
Eleanor c 1653 marries Richard Attwood
Elisabeth c 1646
Margaret c 1639
Thomas c 1644 d 1652
Jane c 1652 d 1652
Ann c 1641
Daniel b 1656

Submitted
Thomas Dudley
Birth: 25 APR 1613 Russell Hall, , Kent, England
Christening: Dudley, Worcester, England
Burial: 24 JAN 1665 Dudley, Worcester, England
Father: Jeffery Dudley or Sutton Family
Spouse: Eleanor Jevon Family
Marriage: 14 SEP 1638 Pedmon, , Worcester

Poss
Submitted
Eleanor Dudley
Christening: 02 MAY 1653 Sedgley, Stafford, England
Death: 20 JAN 1725 Dudley
Parents:
Father: Thomas Dudley
Mother: Eleanor Jevon
Marriages:
Spouse: Richard Atwood
Marriage: 28 DEC 1675

All extracted
ELISABETH DUDLEY
Female Christening: 03 DEC 1646 Sedgley, Stafford, England
MARGARET DUDLEY
Female Christening: 03 AUG 1639 Sedgley, Stafford, England
THOMAS DUDLEY
Male Christening: 15 JAN 1644 Sedgley, Stafford, England
JANE DUDLEY
Female Christening: 27 APR 1652 Sedgley, Stafford, England
ANN DUDLEY
Female Christening: 14 JAN 1641 Sedgley, Stafford, England
DANIEL DUDLEY
Male Birth: 17 FEB 1656 Sedgley, Stafford

Neville Bastable wrote:Were Elizabeth Dudley and Geoffrey Dudley related to each other before they married? The answer is Yes ! They were second cousins once removed. Elizabeth although illegitimate was nevertheless, the great grand daughter of John Sutton 3rd Baron Dudley and Geoffrey was the grandson of Geoffrey Sutton younger brother of the 3rd Baron. This Geoffrey born 1507 of Russell Hall I believe was married to Eleanor daughter of Sir Gilbert Talbot of Grafton near Bromsgrove. Their son Thomas born about 1533 was married to Dorothea Lascelles and they were the parents of Geoffrey Dudley born 1582 who married Elizabeth Dudley.
Northern Lass

Catherine Dudley dau of 5th Barron & Elizabeth Tomlinson

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:14 am

Neville Bastable wrote:Wanted descendants of Catherine Dudley born about 1590 who married Thomas Dudley of Tipton.

FarSide wrote:Submitted
Thomas Dudley
Birth: 1592 <Dudley, Stafford, England>
Marriages:
Spouse: Catherine Sutton
Marriage: 16 NOV 1612 St Edmunds, Dudley, Stafford

Kids all submitted
Katherine Dudley
Christening: 15 DEC 1631 St Edmunds, Dudley, Stafford, England
Burial: 28 AUG 1705
Parents:
Mother: Catherine Sutton or Tomlinson
Marriages:
Spouse: Mr. Woodward
Marriage: 04 AUG 1657

Edward Dudley
Birth: Of, Tipton, Stafford, England
Christening: 24 MAR 1621 St Thomas, Dudley, Stafford, England
Burial: 15 AUG 1674 Tipton, Stafford, England
Parents:
Mother: Catherine Sutton or Tomlinson
Marriages:
Spouse: Mrs. Sarah Dudley

Ferdinando Dudley (not sure about this one quite late)
Birth: Dudley, Stafford, England
Christening: 19 DEC 1647 <Dudley, Stafford, England>
Parents:
Mother: Katharine
Marriages:
Spouse: Joan Dixon
Marriage: 21 AUG 1681

Neville Bastable wrote:Farside, In addition to the foregoing I also have the following offspring listed:-
William Dudley born 1625.
Cornelius Dudley born 1627.
Humble Dudley born1629.
Hannah Dudley born 1635.
Incidentally as far as I am aware Thomas Dudley was not connected to the baronial Dudley/Sutton family.
Neville

Neville Bastable wrote:Thomas Dudley who married into the baronial Dudley family came from a long line of Dudleys who had farmed in the Tibbington area of Tipton for generations right back into
Mediaeval times I believe.
Here are some of Catherine and Thomas’s grandchildren gleaned from the IGI, from sons Cornelius and Humble respectively.

From Cornelius born 1627:-
Hannah Dudley born 1664.
Katherine Dudley born1666.
Martha Dudley born 1668.
Sibi Dudley born 1671.
Peter Dudley born 1674.
Leeny Dudley born 1676.
Markber Dudley born 1680.

From Humble born 1629:-
Thomas Dudley born1654.
Katherine Dudley born 1656.
Matthew Dudley born 1658.
Humble Dudley born1663.
Mary Dudley born 1666.
Esther Dudley born1669.
Edward Dudley born1671.
Anne Dudley born1676.
Northern Lass

Robert Dudley Earl of Leicestershire

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:38 am

Neville Bastable wrote:Robert Dudley Earl of Leicester. Lover of Queen Elizabeth the 1st.
All the Dudleys we have discussed thus far descend from Edmund Sutton eldest son of John Sutton 1st Baron Dudley (1401-1487). John Sutton fought and was wounded in the Wars of the Roses eventually becoming Constable of the Tower of London in 1483 having been enobled in about 1480. This John, the 1st Baron was descended from John de Sutton who had married Margaret, sister and heiress of John de Somery of Dudley Castle in the previous century.
Robert of Leicester was descended from John Sutton alias Dudley, Edmund’s brother and 2 times great grandson of the 1st Baron.
Descent, going directly from father to son goes as follows:-
John Sutton, 1st Baron Dudley 1401-1487 who married Elizabeth Berkeley.
John Sutton alias Dudley died 1500 who married Elizabeth Bramshot and was a youger son of the 1st Baron.
Edmund Dudley 1472-1510 who married Elizabeth Grey. He was a minister under Henry VII but executed under Henry VIII.
John Dudley 1504-1553 who married Jane Guildford. He was Viscount Lisle in1542, Earl of Warwick in 1547 and Duke of Northumberland in 1553, He was executed by Queen Mary Tudor.
Robert Dudley 1533-1588 Earl of Leicester. Master of the Horse, Order of the Garter, Lord Lieutenant of Wndsor Castle, Member of the Council, Chancellor of Oxford University and Queen Elizabeth’s lover.

Robert Dudley had a son Sir Robert Dudley 1574-1649 who inherited parts of his father’s estates but not his titles as the marriage of the Earl of Leicester and Lady Douglas Howard his mother was never officially recognised. The younger Robert emigrated to Italy and never returned. He had offspring in both England and Italy, 17 in total I believe by two different wives and so there may be many people running round today who perhaps don’t realise they descend from such an illustrious family.
Neville Bastable
Northern Lass

Ferdinando Dudley Lea b 1710 11 Baron

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:54 am

Neville Bastable wrote:Frances Ward born 1687 married William Lea of Halesowen Grange which still exists and it was their son Ferdinando Dudley Lea born 1710 who became the 11th Baron Dudley upon the death of the 10 th Baron his uncle William Ward in 1740. Ferdinando had no children and when he died in 1757 the title went into abeyance until it was restored for a descendant of the eldest of his sisters Anne and her husband William Smith.
The descent went from father to son beginning with Anne and William’s son Ferdinand Smith born 1746 who was married to Elizabeth Lyttelton
Lt. Col. Ferdinand Smith (1779-1841) who married Elizabeth Grazebrooke
Ferdinando Dudley Lea Smith (1834-1905) married Amy Sophia Leigh.
Ferdinando Dudley William Lea Smith (1872-1936) who was restored to the title as the 12th Baron Dudley.
Ferdinando Dudley Henry Lea Smith (1910-1972) 13th Baron Dudley.
|
It was his sister Barbara Amy Felicity Hamilton (1907-2002) who became the 14th Baroness and her son Jim Anthony Hill Wallace born 1930 who is the 15th Baron Dudley and is as far as I am aware still living and therefore of course the end of that line at present
I believe all the above to be an accurate description of the the descent of that branch of the legitimate Dudley family, for consideration to be added to bcconnections and will be looking at the branch that eventually became the present day Earls of Dudley in due course for which I will start a new topic.
Neville

I can add a a little more on Ferdinando Dudley Lea (1710-1757) particularly his home The Grange and also his ancestors. The first of the Lea family to own The Grange I understand was in the Tudor period, William Lea, Ferdinando’s great great grandfather. Ferdinando’s grandparents were I believe John Lea and Anne Tibbots. This building was replaced apparently by Ferdinando and his is the building we know today although there were later additions
Ferdinando’s great great grandmother on his mother’s side was Frances Sutton (1611-1697) who married Humble Ward (1613-1670). Frances mother incidentally was the daughter of a royal descendant named Honora Seymour, who could claim amongst others descent from Edward III and Henry VII. The Suttons themselves were descended from the great de Somery mediaeval Barons of Dudley.
Ferdinando was the 11th Baron the title having devolved through his mother and as he had no children it went into abeyance when he died in 1757 until it was restored by act of Parliament in 1916 in favour of Ferdinando Dudley William Lea Smith the 12 th Baron who was the great great grandson of the 11th Baron’s eldest sister Anne.
Anne’s son Ferdinand Smith had however inherited The Grange and it was Ferdinand’s grandson Ferdinando Dudley Lea Smith who died in 1905 who was the last of the family to live there so his great grandson Jim Anthony Hill Wallace born 1930 the present and 15th Baron Dudley lives eleswhere.
Northern Lass

Return to Famous, Infamous And Other Black Country Folk