ARC..Elizabeth Lovell Syer / Passant / Hough born 1838

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

ARC..Elizabeth Lovell Syer / Passant / Hough born 1838

Postby Terry Carter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am trying to find out what happened to my great grandmother, who was born 21 Oct 1838 in Treforest, Glamorgan, Wales. On 5 Aug 1860, she married Joseph Passant, also born 1838, at St Mathews Church, Wolverhampton. They had two children, Joseph William Passant born 1861 and Florence Passant, my grandmother, born 1865; I have both birth certs. By 1871, she was living with William Hough, whose wife had died in 1866. There is no marriage that I can find because I think she was still married to Joseph Passant.

Joseph Passant left his family some time between 1866 and 1871 and the last record I have for him is the 1881 US census of Texas and an 1882 tax roll, both in Bandera County, Texas. There was no divorce from Elizabeth that I have found.

The last record I have for Elizabeth Passant / Hough / Lovell is the 1881 census of Bilston (Wolverhampton), Staffordshire, living in Court 5, Coseley Street. She is with William Hough and daughter Florence as lodgers in the household of Benjamin Lomas. William Hough died in 1886 and I can find no record of Elizabeth Lovell / Passant / Hough in the 1891 census and beyond and no match on FreeBMD.

Any input or ideas where else to look would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Regards, Terry.
Terry Carter

Re: Elizabeth Lovell Syer / Passant / Hough born 1838

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:55 am

Hi Terry does this family link to any on Bcc website that I added?
Just if I get a min I will try and add some.

do you have marriage at Wolverhampton (the one you found)if not I might have it.

no burial for Elizabeth?
Northern Lass

Postby grangers14 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:37 pm

From the Wolverhampton Indexes
5th August 1860 St Matthews
Joseph Passant full B, Puddler, Swan Sreet, Joseph Passant, Sinker
Elizabeth Syer Lovall, full, S, Swan Street, George Syer Lovall, Dubbler
Banns
grangers14

Postby Terry Carter » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:50 am

Hi There,
Thank you for getting back to me. I have the marriage cert for Joseph Passant & Elizabeth Syer Lovell, birth certs for both of them and their children, death cert for William Hough with Elizabeth as "widow", 1881 US census with Joseph Passant, 1882 Bandera County Texas tax rolls, and possible (not certain) travel records for Joseph Passant.

After 1882 Joseph Passant disappears from the US records. Although not quite the "wild, wild west" of the movies, a ranch hand wandering off or disappearing or dying in an accident or some other way would not have caused any concern. Deaths were not required to be registered in Texas until 1906. I am in contact with Passant cousins in Texas and we are trying to figure out what to do next.

For my great grandmother, Elizabeth had three or four possible surnames to choose from: Hough, Passant, Lovell, and Syer (or variations of Syer). There are a lot of Elizabeth Houghs on FreeBMD but I have to be selective with what I go after if I decide to try certs. I am checking to see if anyone on the Forum had any information or could suggest sources of information to try. I am just not finding anything on any census records from 1891 onwards.
Regards, Terry.
Terry Carter

Postby Northern Lass » Sat May 21, 2022 7:37 am

This is quite an old post.
Do you need any more help on this if not I will move to archived.
Northern Lass

Return to Archived General Discussion