ARC...What I have achieved so far

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

ARC...What I have achieved so far

Postby John Aitken » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:36 pm

Not sure if it is correct protocol to discuss ones progress but this is what I have done so far.
I am tracing the Boynes and the Aitkens from Aberdeen in Scotland. I did join the FHS in Aberdeen for a short while but found it too difficult to operate from Wiltshire.
With the help of other family members I have traced the Boyne branch back to 1770. To begin with I sent for or downloaded copies of BDM certs but this got expensive(they had big families in those days) so I was happy to make an entry on my tree once I had "eyes on" a cert. (I know this may be wrong but needs must) It is strange how you begin to remember family stories and rumours, we have dark hair and I remember a Scottish aunt telling me we were descended from the crew of a shipwrecked Spanish armada vessel. Couldn't prove that(although there are Aitkens who married Del Gano's in the same area)but during my research I discovered a family branch moved to Cruden bay where an amarda vessel had been shipwrecked!
I may have traced the Aitkens back to 1702 but as yet cannot prove it (not had eyes on but have seen an entry in a book)
As a detective I began to get very good, as time went on I could target my searches and ensure that I didn't "make" the information fit the hole I was trying to fill instead of reading the information correctly. I made a few discoveries, sets of twins and workhouse tenants and suchlike but my biggest problems arose just 2 generations back. My Grandfather left his family and went to America or Canada. I may have narrowed the time and date to one boat in particular but unfortunately on that boat there were 4 people with the same name and no other details so I was unable to clarify who went where when they landed. I need a trip to the records office now to discover the exact year of death because I'm not sure on that one.
So one more generation or so and I will have traced my family back to the Jacobite rebellion. I know people with my family name guarded the Scottish crown jewels at Dunnotar castle but I don't think I could ever prove that one!!
Is there a way of finding out what side they were on? I understand the Gordon clan supported both sides just to be safe so perhaps my ancestors were required to do the same.
John Aitken

Re: What I have achieved so far

Postby peterd » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:16 pm

A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby John Aitken » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Many thanks perterd
John Aitken

Postby SRD » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:11 am

That looks like good progress.
Regarding the Armada stories, my parents had friends from the West Coast of Ireland, members of the O'Neil family. They had a tradition of giving their daughters a Spanish middle name in respect of ancestors said to have been members of the fleet who landed and stayed in Ireland after the disastrous Armada venture. Every so often there would be a 'sport' when one of the family would be born with particular mediterranean features.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Fri May 20, 2022 7:08 am

This is quite an old post.
Do you need any more help on this if not I will move to archived.
Northern Lass

Return to Archived General Discussion