Shipping info UK-Melb

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Shipping info UK-Melb

Postby joodyanne » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:15 pm

I am trying to find the arrival of an Alice Gleeson presumably from the UK – in response to the following ad in “The Argus” Melbourne on Thursday 18th August 1864.

It reads : Miss Alice Gleeson, Ennis, Ireland, will please forward her address to J.C., Kyneton (Victoria)

I know who J.C is (James Conway) – he married a Gleeson (Mary) from Ireland in 1849 and lived in Kyneton, arriving in 1857. Several other sisters (two in 1862 and one in 1959) arrived also, but we can’t track down Alice Gleeson’s arrival in Australia (presumably Victoria). I wondered if Alice may have been married but travelled as a single person to get to Australia.

Can anyone check passenger records for her arrival around or prior to August 1864.

Whilst my Michael Gleeson was born in Ireland around 1807 (guessing) - and married an Ann(e) Tierney also guessing, prior to 1832, their dchildren were born in different parts of Ireland
Mary, about 1832 in Tipperary
Ann 1839 in Ireland
Eliza 1840 in Ennis County Clare
Frances Kathleen 1842 in Ennis County Clare (I'm told there were son's but I have never found them.

Ann(e) Snr, Mary, Ann Eliza and Frances Kathleenn (or Kathleen Frances, my g grandmother), all came out to Australia at various times between 1857 and 1862. However in Trove - a newspaper advertisement was published "
Miss Alice Gleeson, Ennis, Ireland, will please forward her address to J.C., Kyneton (Victoria)
I know who JC is (James Conway, who married the oldest Gleeson daughter, Mary)
So Alice must belong to the same family of Michael & Ann(e) Gleeson, but I can't find anything about her - birth, her subsequent move to Australia, marriage - death, anything.
I was wondering if someone could help me. Ideally I would like to find out more about the family in Ireland.

Judy - Bendigo, Victoria, Australia.
joodyanne

Re: Shipping info UK-Melb

Postby gardener » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:35 pm

In the same paper in 1870 there is an Alice Gleeson who is pressing a Frederick Roper for money to support his four illegitimate children. Could that be her?

Oh, perhaps this is helpful? Same paper.

10 Feb 1866
Miss A Gleeson and Mrs Goring, supposed to be resident near Beechworth, are requested to forward their address to John Deering, Argus office, Collins Street, Melbourne
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby joodyanne » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Actually the second newspaper item re Miss A Gleeson and Mrs Goring I have seen before, but I mistakenly thought it was Miss A (Ann) - this gives me something to think about. The first newspaper item would not be her.

I would still like to confirm it by her arrival.
joodyanne

Postby MarkCDodd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:12 pm

From PROV.

GLEESON ALLY 26 OCT 1861 GREAT TASMANIA B 194 004

That reads as 26 year old. Arrived October 1861 aboard Great Tasmania and I think the port (B) is Geelong but it is a while since I used this index.

194 004 is the fiche reference.

You have to go into PROV to see the record.

I may be going in there to do some research in the next couple of weeks.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby stearle » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:52 pm

Hello JoodyAnn

This is a few years on but as a result of a court journalists error in 1870, I ended up researching your Alice Gleeson in depth through to her death in 1924 as Ann Roper in Melbourne. I was only able to exclude her as the lady we were after when I saw this thread. I have all her details if you still need them.
stearle

Return to General Discussion