What are you eating this Christmas?

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Re: What are you eating this Christmas?

Postby gardener » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Do you have an almond-gift too? Perhaps not for two of you :wink:
That liver pate is delicious. They do all that stuff as a pre-Christmas buffet in hotels and restaurants - copying the Danes. I've never heard of cabbage in cream though :o

Hope you are not getting bad weather yet again!
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby SRD » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:25 am

So how did it go, we didn't get as far as the Stilton, we didn't cut the cake 'til 7.30pm, never mind it will still be there this evening.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:10 am

Mine was okish :(
Northern Lass

Postby Jimmy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:15 am

I jad a great day with sister and family.
Just trying to do my bit for BCC, bringing families back together.
Jimmy

Postby peterd » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:34 am

Jimmy wrote:I jad a great day with sister and family.

so it wasnt beans on toast then
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby snoopysue » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:32 pm

gardener wrote:Do you have an almond-gift too? Perhaps not for two of you :wink:
That liver pate is delicious. They do all that stuff as a pre-Christmas buffet in hotels and restaurants - copying the Danes. I've never heard of cabbage in cream though :o

Hope you are not getting bad weather yet again!

We didn't have an almond-gift, although as my husband likes the pudding with very coarsely chopped almonds, he was lucky to find a whole one!
Dinner went well - the salmon mousse will be repeated at some point! And the rice pudding is nearly all gone (made loads, as we love it!!).

The weather was okay - there were strong winds, and we did think my in laws might not be able to get to Sjælland (the island of Zealand, where Copenhagen is), as they were talking of shutting the bridges as the winds were side on. Luckily the winds weren't as strong as they'd expected! Otherwise we would have had three extra mouths to feed and would have been raiding the freezer!

The liver pate is good, and I really like the cabbage (grønlangkål), not that I've made it myself yet! It doesn't sound too difficult though!
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby BC Wench » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:12 pm

We were on our own for Christmas dinner for over 40 years and we had a great day. A friend of ours came over later and we had a really good blether until he decided to leave after 12.00. Most enjoyable day without worrying if everyone is having a good time.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby snoopysue » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:46 pm

BC Wench wrote:We were on our own for Christmas dinner for over 40 years and we had a great day. A friend of ours came over later and we had a really good blether until he decided to leave after 12.00. Most enjoyable day without worrying if everyone is having a good time.

I don't mind Christmas with just the two of us, there's no stress - it doesn't matter if we eat a bit later, and if we have plenty of time between the courses - that's okay too!
I know my sister asked her neighbours round, as it was just the two of them, I only hope they didn't feel obliged to accept the invite. When people asked what we were doing I made sure they knew that we enjoy celebrating on our own (it's not every year, usually about one year in six), at least no-one would feel sorry for us and feel they had to invite us.

As for food, we're having meatballs (or frikadeller) with sage and onion tonight - it's a take on Delia's pork, sage and onion stuffing. Accompanied by potato and Jerusalem artichoke mash, Yorkshire pud, beans and gravy. I'll probably have some red onion marmalade with it too (Stoke's is absolutely delicious - mine never turns out that way - it's with balsamic vinegar and black treacle, yum).
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Previous

Return to Christmas Dishes