ARC TBC...Help needed to find Death

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

ARC TBC...Help needed to find Death

Postby dudleytaylor » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:46 pm

What can you do when you know the birth of someone ,and you know they spent most of their life in Highcroft Hospital and died there,and yet you can find no evidence of the death . I have searched Ancestry ,and others ,they come up with nothing .
It's easy to stand with the crowd . It takes courage to stand alone
dudleytaylor

Location: Living in Worcestershire,Paternal Family from Dudley,Maternal family from Oldbury

Re: Help needed to find Death

Postby SRD » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:15 am

If the hospital was part of a group, or under the authority of a body which based somewhere other than the locality of the hospital, it may have been registered wherever their administrative offices were. For instance I know of someone who was attending a TB hospital on the Sussex coast which was owned & run by a London Borough. Her death was registered in the London Borough, not in the Borough where the hospital was.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby dudleytaylor » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:30 am

SRD wrote:If the hospital was part of a group, or under the authority of a body which based somewhere other than the locality of the hospital, it may have been registered wherever their administrative offices were. For instance I know of someone who was attending a TB hospital on the Sussex coast which was owned & run by a London Borough. Her death was registered in the London Borough, not in the Borough where the hospital was.

Highcroft Hospital is in Erdington Birmingham , It was used for patients that suffered from mental problems ,I know that the person I am looking for was a permanent patient ,and died there , but I cannot find their death ,from what I have been told he was alive in the early sixties , but there is no one alive now to know when he actually died . I have searched FreeBMD ,Ancestry,FMP,and Genes Reunited. I have sent a E.Mail to Birmingham Library asking if they have any information on the hospital and its patients ,and hoping they will be able to help .
dudleytaylor

Location: Living in Worcestershire,Paternal Family from Dudley,Maternal family from Oldbury

Postby snoopysue » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:43 pm

dudleytaylor wrote:
SRD wrote:If the hospital was part of a group, or under the authority of a body which based somewhere other than the locality of the hospital, it may have been registered wherever their administrative offices were. For instance I know of someone who was attending a TB hospital on the Sussex coast which was owned & run by a London Borough. Her death was registered in the London Borough, not in the Borough where the hospital was.

Highcroft Hospital is in Erdington Birmingham , It was used for patients that suffered from mental problems ,I know that the person I am looking for was a permanent patient ,and died there , but I cannot find their death ,from what I have been told he was alive in the early sixties , but there is no one alive now to know when he actually died . I have searched FreeBMD ,Ancestry,FMP,and Genes Reunited. I have sent a E.Mail to Birmingham Library asking if they have any information on the hospital and its patients ,and hoping they will be able to help .

Have you thought that maybe the family registered the death, and checked that area? The indexes have a few inaccuracies, so they may not appear even if it was registered.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby grangers14 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Who are looking for DT?
grangers14

Postby dudleytaylor » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:01 pm

Algernon W Lovell Birth Jan Feb March 1912 in Solihull Birmingham . He is my husbands Great uncle . We think the W stands for William . The family lived in Nuthurst Tanworth in Arden Warwickshire in 1911 and in 1930 Croft Road Yardley Birmingham. We know he was alive in 1963 , because my husband went with his nan to see him ,and he remembers because it was the same time as his sister got married . Any help would be appreciated :-)
dudleytaylor

Postby grangers14 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Ive looked and looked and not seen anything :?
grangers14

Postby dudleytaylor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:03 am

Thanks Jo , I have been looking too , but its like he did not exist . I sent E.mail to Birmingham Library asking if they had any information on the hospital ,but they have not got back to me . Its very strange . :grin:
dudleytaylor

Postby Antie Em » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:27 am

I wonder if he died after 2005 DT - if he died after this date, he wouldn't show up on the indexes, or if his death wasn't indexed at all. You could try looking through the GRO records at your local archives, but that could be a long job.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Antie Em » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:36 am

Just thought of something else. Perhaps you could get his birth cert and find out what his middle name was, he could have been using this name instead of Algernon. My cousin came to visit a couple of months ago. His gran and my gran are sisters. We had always known my Granddad as George and it wasn't until I started my research about 15 years ado that we found out his name was Albert George, although his death cert still says George. When my cousin referred to my gran and granddad, he called them Antie Maggie and Uncle Albert. So some of the family had used his real name.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby dudleytaylor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Antie Em wrote:Just thought of something else. Perhaps you could get his birth cert and find out what his middle name was, he could have been using this name instead of Algernon. My cousin came to visit a couple of months ago. His gran and my gran are sisters. We had always known my Granddad as George and it wasn't until I started my research about 15 years ado that we found out his name was Albert George, although his death cert still says George. When my cousin referred to my gran and granddad, he called them Antie Maggie and Uncle Albert. So some of the family had used his real name.

Thanks Auntie Em . I will send for his birth certificate . My hubby seems to think he died before 2005,but you never know ,he might have out lived them all , I will let you know. See what you think :grin:
dudleytaylor

Postby Northern Lass » Wed May 18, 2022 7:02 am

This is quite an old post so have you solved it?
I will move to archived unlesss otherwise informed.
Northern Lass

Return to Archived General Discussion