Any tricks to find 6 missing siblings?

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Any tricks to find 6 missing siblings?

Postby spes123 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:08 am

My grand father was one of 13 children (as per 1911 census of which only 4 were still living ). From census records and Parish baptism records I have identified 7.

From online sources there are just under 3000 possible births between the time of marriage and the 1911 census, I can eliminate approx. 2000 of these by checking the dates against those I already have, having first checked for twins etc. (ie the same or consecutive index numbers).

Other than ordering the 1000 or so birth certs are there any other techniques / tricks I can try first?
spes123

Re: Any tricks to find 6 missing siblings?

Postby snoopysue » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:39 am

Are all these 1000 births within one registration district?
You can discard some, if there is another child with the same name - but be careful as siblings were named after a deceased brother or sister.
Another point is that some still births were recorded on the 1911 census, even though they shouldn't have been - in these cases there wouldn't be a record.

Don't know about local archives, but when you order from the GRO, rather than quote the GRO ref, you can state what you know, including parents. If they can't find a match you get a refund. It would mean making a list so you know which births you've tried, and it does take longer for the certificate (if it's the right one) to come through.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby spes123 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:49 am

Hi snoopysue

Thank you for your reply, yes the 1000 or so are all in one registration district, I have tried to order a cert from the GRO with just the details I have but was told that with it being an extremely common surname they do not undertake that type of search and will only supply certs if the GRO index number is quoted! :(
spes123

Postby snoopysue » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:04 am

spes123 wrote:Hi snoopysue

Thank you for your reply, yes the 1000 or so are all in one registration district, I have tried to order a cert from the GRO with just the details I have but was told that with it being an extremely common surname they do not undertake that type of search and will only supply certs if the GRO index number is quoted! :(

It may be to do with the numbers involved, but I have done it with no problem on several occaisions! Are you giving them a first name?
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Maths girl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Were the ones you know about baptised?

If so there is a possibility the missing ones were too -- unless they were still births you could try the baptism records in the area which quote parents names.

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby gardener » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:58 pm

And you could try burials for the same parish perhaps? My grandfather had an older sister who died and I have her burial record but have never found a baptism.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:10 am

Ask your local archives for the relevant births say you only want it if parents are such and such
you may have to pay first but they normally refund your money if the criteria are not met
w'ton Dudley and Sandwell are very very good. :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby AndrewA » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:13 pm

Just win the lottery and order 1000 certificates.

Mr Moneybags: Good day to you miss
Registrar: Good morning, and what can I do for you?
M: I would like to order some birth, marriage and death certificates please.
R: Do you know the names and the corresponding dates?
M: No I dont, why does it matter?
R: Well Sir we can do a search, but it costs extra.
M: OH dont bother with that nonsense, just give me a copy of all the births and marriages and deaths in the in the district for everyone named Smith, Jones and Harris between 1850 and 1900. I worked out that will be about 3,500 certificates, so if I give you £35,000 in cash now, you can keep the change if its less.*Puts briefcase on table full of £50 notes.
R: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: *Faints
M: Miss... Misss.?
Hit a Brickwall? Have you lost all trace of someone? Do not despair, simply make a note they were abducted by aliens! Don't believe in aliens? No problem, just write them off as having disapeared in a time portal
AndrewA

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:45 am

:lol: :lol:
Northern Lass

Postby AndrewA » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:03 pm

Seriously though be prepared for still-birth and other sad occurrences where the baby died before birth. It is amazing how many people do not fill forms in correctly, even the enumerators employed to carry out census work did not get things right.

I am just embarking on resolving an issue raised in the 1911 census for my immediate family. My mother and aunt knew of one fatality within their fathers family, where one of the twins born died a few months after birth. That was well known and talked about in family, however on the 1911, there are two deaths recorded and no one has a clue.

I am using a bit of logic and analysis at this point, the most likely conclusion is that the death occured between the birth of my grandfather, who was youngest child and the next youngest child, as there is a 6 year gap between the two, with each of the 6 childrens births being 2 years apart. I have identified a number of children, some named some listed with no name

But if this recorded child was a miscarriage, then that would explain why none of the family talked about it. They talked all the time about the death of the twin sister, so it would stand to reason they would not be too shy in talking about another dead child. unless all the sisters conspired to kill the baby and it was never talked about.... :shock: But then I do have a good imagination, but stranger things have come to light.
Hit a Brickwall? Have you lost all trace of someone? Do not despair, simply make a note they were abducted by aliens! Don't believe in aliens? No problem, just write them off as having disapeared in a time portal
AndrewA

Postby MarkCDodd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Same problem Andrew. 2nd Great Grandparents reported 20 live births and only 3 are still alive in the 1911 census. So I have been trying to trace the other 17.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby peterd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:01 pm

spes123 wrote:My grand father was one of 13 children (as per 1911 census of which only 4 were still living ). From census records and Parish baptism records I have identified 7.

From online sources there are just under 3000 possible births between the time of marriage and the 1911 census, I can eliminate approx. 2000 of these by checking the dates against those I already have, having first checked for twins etc. (ie the same or consecutive index numbers).

Other than ordering the 1000 or so birth certs are there any other techniques / tricks I can try first?

do you know where they were living at the time of the missing birth you could try the nearest church register for bap and burials ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby spes123 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:12 am

Hello all thank you all so much for your replies and my apologies for not getting back sooner but I have had some major issues with my pc (please see my post in general discussion). I will have a look at the replies in more detail later today.

Once again many thanks.

Simon
spes123

Return to Archived General Discussion