Why can't I access anything on family search any more?

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Why can't I access anything on family search any more?

Postby usignuolo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:01 pm

I had been working on my family history until last year, and often looked up supplementary information on the Family Search site (I have a sub to "ancestry"). Then late last year I found I could not get access to Family Search although I registered as a public user, but this seemed to be because they were about to relaunch the site. Then real life intervened and I have only recently returned to my family research. Now I find that, although I can log on to Family Search, it retrieves very little information on even the most general search and when it does, the information is very basic and I am referred to the BMD paid for site to find out anymore. Clearly I have missed some major changes for the worst on the Family Search site, can anyone update on what has happened to it.
usignuolo

Re: Why can't I access anything on family search any more?

Postby peterd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:37 pm

family search updated to a new site try this link, they totally reorganised it and most people think its a backward step

https://familysearch.org/search
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby usignuolo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:32 pm

Yes that's the one I have been trying to use. It doesn't find anything like the matches it used to and when it does you are referred to BMD to pay to see the record. Grr. :(
usignuolo

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:50 pm

The search engine has improved dramatically and the number of records quadrupled over the last 24 months.

Very few links to pay sites and they are generally if you want original scans and not just the translation.

The old IGI information is included in your BMD searches.

You can now host your family tree on the site and have photo albums.

Its feature list is equal to the best pay sites and it is FREE!!!
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby usignuolo » Fri May 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Are you representing the Church of the LDS? I have no wish to be disrepectful but the new site is a disaster as far as I am concerned. I have registered as a user and to start with, when I try to do a search, often the search box is replaced with one called Loading which does not work. I may have to refresh the screen several times to get it to even display a search box. I did manage to get a search option just now and typed in the name of my great great grandfather who is listed in several census returns in the UK in the 19th century. It found nothing, ditto other ancestors it always found before.

I don't know what has happened but I simply can no longer get any responses to the searches I enter on it. Can you provide some advice please on what I am doing wrong. Here is an example to search for Alexander Matthew Jackson lived in London in the second half of the 19th century. Appears on census returns in 1861, 71, 81, 91. Yet the new site cannot find him.
usignuolo

Postby sparkstopper » Fri May 17, 2013 5:30 pm

I agree: Used family search for a number of years.
now have to sign in every time and then nothing happens,
just keeps 'Loading' for hours!!!!!!!!!!!
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby mallosa » Fri May 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Is this him....

Name: Alexander Matthew Jackson
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Spouse's Birth Date:
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age:
Event Date: 07 Jul 1853
Event Place: Old Church,Saint Pancras,London,England
Father's Name:
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Race:
Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M04793-3
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 598341, 598342, 598343, 598344, 598345, 598346, 598347, 598348
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby YorksClare » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:22 am

This site is ridiculously annoying! Finally gained some ground chasing a line of my family. Clicked on several records while tracking forwards and backwards to try to make sure it was right before I put it into my tree. Now there seems to be whole chunks gone AWOL and I cannot for the life of me remember how I searched to get them! That's an hour or so down the drain...
YorksClare

Return to Software