Family Tree Maker Sync Question

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Family Tree Maker Sync Question

Postby Stones&Bones » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Hope this is the right section for this :-) I've been thinking of buying the Family Tree Maker software package but wondered if anyone here had used it as I have a question about it. Obviously individual bits of information like census scans, photos, documents ect have to be backed up elsewhere eg on disc, but once you've started making your family tree, if anything happened to your PC, would the tree still be available on the Ancestry website so you could sync it and get it back on your PC after fixing it and installing the tree software again? Or would you have to start building it all over again? Also if I install and make the tree on my PC's internal hardrive, how easy is it to transfer it to an external HD? As I may want to do this in the future.

Thanks.
Stones&Bones

Re: Family Tree Maker Sync Question

Postby peterd » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:25 pm

trees in software are normally stored as gedcoms depending how large your family tree is it would be poss to store it on a usb stick you can get them up to 32 gb cheap enough
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Stones&Bones » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks, I wondered about a memory stick but didn't know if it would fit on one. I haven't bought the software yet though I'm still deciding.
Stones&Bones

Postby peterd » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:27 pm

nl or jo might able to tell you the size of bcc gedcom it has approximatly 120,000 + name should give you a good idea on what size usb stick you would need ( dont know if it store the photo though)
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:59 am

Hi we have our Black Country Connections tree hosted by a company called Tribal pages
We back it up each day and save it on memory sticks
I save it on an 8GB stick
132,000 plus names

I have used family tree maker and been able to upload a ged com and save that on a stick too.

The likes of Ancestry, Genes and Tribal are good for getting your tree online and to find
others that connect.

If you just want your own tree not online family tree maker would be an idea.
Depends what you want.

Wherever you have it always back up your gedcom
Northern Lass

Return to Software