Mussels

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Mussels

Postby Rob » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:28 am

It's the mussel season or so they tell me.Anyway bought 3kilo yesterday and i'm planning to cook them today. Any ideas on a good recipe? what can you eat them with a salad and a crusty baguate(is that right?)?
Oh is it before you cook them mussels that are open you throw away or if they are closed? :?
Rob

Re: Mussels

Postby mikleed » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:04 am

Rob........The best place for them is the Bin !!!
Mike.
Englands Green and Pleasant Land.
mikleed

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Northern Lass

Postby Rob » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:43 pm

They were delicous!! Did em in white wine,butter,garlic and onions.Served them with a salad and crusty bread with philidelphia cheese spread. :lol:
A bit apprehensive cos who wants to be musselled??
Def something to repeat maybe in a few weeks.
Micheal eat your heart out "Bin them" ???
Rob

Postby snoopysue » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:40 pm

I always thourght you weren't supposed to eat them when there isn't an "R" in the month. Something to do with algae levels, although saying that with the total lack of summer so far, no danger there!!
I had them a few weeks ago when we went out to eat, done in white wine and cream - heaven!!
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Rob » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:23 pm

I never cycled to work when there was an 'R' in the month maybe you mean that? :?
Rob

Postby SRD » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:09 am

snoopysue wrote:I always thourght you weren't supposed to eat them when there isn't an "R" in the month. Something to do with algae levels, although saying that with the total lack of summer so far, no danger there!!
There's a lot of confusion about this, some to do with not harvesting when they are too young to be worth eating, but modern round the year, round the world growing and harvesting techniques have put paid to that one and others to do with increased poisons occurring in their foodsources as the weather warms up, but most commercially farmed and gathered shellfish are tested before going to market it's only if you gather your own from the coast that you need to be more careful. There's masses of conflicting info on the web but I generally feel that if the major outlets are selling them they should be Ok, none of the supermarket chains are going to want an outbreak of mass poisoning laid at their door.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby snoopysue » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:53 am

Well as I said, I did have them a few weeks ago, and I'm still here to tell the tale!!
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:37 am

But are you? Stll here!! Maybe you're not maybe you're dreaming!! Maybe this is what being "musselled" does to you!! :-? :crazy: :eh: :shifty: :wtf:
Rob

Postby snoopysue » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Rob wrote:But are you? Stll here!! Maybe you're not maybe you're dreaming!! Maybe this is what being "musselled" does to you!! :-? :crazy: :eh: :shifty: :wtf:

Well Rambling Rob, if I'm not here you must be a figment of the imagination :shock: :? :lol: :roll: :wink:
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Return to Starters