Family Tree Builder 6.0 (Free Download)?

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Family Tree Builder 6.0 (Free Download)?

Postby Kleftiwallah » Thu May 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Anyone got any thoughts on the above, "free lownload" that puts me on my guard for a start ! ! ! Cheers, Tony.
Kleftiwallah

Re: Family Tree Builder 6.0 (Free Download)?

Postby SRD » Fri May 04, 2012 6:58 am

I use it and like it. But I do have a subscription to the MyHeritage site as well. However I don't use the automatic updating link between my computer copy and the site, preferring to regularly upload my work via gedcom.

There can be problems with the 'smartlink' feature causing the thing to crash; it got so bad on my previous laptop, running Vista, that I stopped using it but my new one with Windows 7 hasn't had any problems (Hush my mouth). A search on the internet found some ways round the problem.

It doesn't have a renumbering facility, which I'd like.

I've found the other members at MyHeritage to be a mixed bunch which ranges from enthusiastic, helpful and useless to brilliant, miserable and not prepared to share the slightest bit of info or comment, with all shades inbetween.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Kleftiwallah » Fri May 04, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks for that SRD. Not too sure quite what you mean by:

"automatic updating link between my computer copy and the site" , " There can be problems with the 'smartlink' feature " and "It doesn't have a renumbering facility", but I think I'll give it a go and no doupt I shall get to know the areas you refer to.

Cheers, Tony.
Kleftiwallah

Postby peterd » Fri May 04, 2012 2:55 pm

you could use tribal pages tony but the info is not stored on your computer but you can download the gedcom file so you have a back up (most family tree software will use gedcom files) you could also so use genes reunited ?

http://www.tribalpages.com/index.html?m=1
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Return to Software