PC to a Mr J Hodnett?- 10a & 10b

Do you have an old Postcard that you would like to reunite with its original family? Or maybe just let others know the information on one you own?
If so have a look in this section.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

PC to a Mr J Hodnett?- 10a & 10b

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Owned by NL

Front of PC is Tettenhall Church

Back ...stamped Penryhn?

6.15 pm JY 31 1911?

again struggling to read so perhaps someone could do the hons

To Mr? J? Hodnett?
44 Durham Road?
Cottenham Park?
Wimbledon?
Surrey?

Northern Lass

Re: PC to a Mr J Hodnett?- 10a & 10b

Postby rockyfowler » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:51 pm

HUDNOTT, Henry John Head Married M 55 1856 General Smith And Hot Crooked Billet Wimbledon
HUDNOTT, Cahrlotte Wife Married F 45 1866 Water Engineer Lenham Kent
TWYMAN, Nora Cecila Boarder Single F 47 1864 Jaffna Ceyton

44 Durham Road Wimbledon S W
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Maths girl » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Dear Jack Thanks
for your letter Mrs?
S????r has pile?seu
lot can have us she will
come down one morning to
fetch us then she can see
?? We shall arrive Thursday
eve? she hoping
trouble ??love from us
both from BANE?

Red words appear to be the same

Hoping someone can make sense of this --reminds me of my efforts to translate French at school
Maths girl

Postby Lulu » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Maths Girl, thanks for the best laugh of the day, I've just been crying with laughter over the idea of this Black Country couple going down to Wimbledon to have a look at Mrs Saturn's Piles. :lol:

I think I've filled in a few gaps but still needs tweaking a bit.

Dear Jack thanks for your letter ? ? hes pleased Cot can have us she will come down one morning to fetch us then she can see Cot. We shall arrive Thursday night hoping it wont trouble you love from us both B and J

Not sure about the person having them, the first letter doesn't look flowery enough to be an L, as in the style of the other capitals, so that C more likely. Could be some sort of pet name?
Just because you're Paranoid, it doesn't mean to say they're not out to get you.
Lulu

Postby Maths girl » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:48 pm

Lulu wrote:Maths Girl, thanks for the best laugh of the day, I've just been crying with laughter over the idea of this Black Country couple going down to Wimbledon to have a look at Mrs Saturn's Piles. :lol:

I think I've filled in a few gaps but still needs tweaking a bit.

Dear Jack thanks for your letter ? ? hes pleased Cot can have us she will come down one morning to fetch us then she can see Cot. We shall arrive Thursday night hoping it wont trouble you love from us both B and J

Not sure about the person having them, the first letter doesn't look flowery enough to be an L, as in the style of the other capitals, so that C more likely. Could be some sort of pet name?

Glad to have brightened your day -- as I said my French translations were always interesting too -- the C on Cot looks like the C on the address for Cottenham -- presuming that is what it is.
Maths girl

Postby peterd » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:34 pm

c could be d so reads Dot ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby SRD » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:23 am

I can't do any better than the rest of you but 44 Durham Road, Cottenham Park is still there, behind green gates and next door to Chameleon, the hairdressers. It looks cared for with a pleasant garden.

I know it's a long shot but can anyone look up the address in the 1911 census?
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Lulu » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:44 am

SRD wrote:
I know it's a long shot but can anyone look up the address in the 1911 census?

Rocky did that, it's the second post on here. Henry John, known as Jack, his wife is Charlotte, so she could be the Lot referred to, only it sounds odd, the way it's written, as if Lot is living somewhere else. :?
Just because you're Paranoid, it doesn't mean to say they're not out to get you.
Lulu

Postby SRD » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:36 am

:oops: Blind as a bat me!

I don't think it reads as if Cot is elsewhere. The card appears to be written by B to Jack saying that someone else (which I think is a forename and surname) is pleased that Cot (Jack's wife) can put them up. The 'someone else' will pick them up in the morning and take them to Jack & Cot's house expecting to arrive in Wimbledon on Thursday night.
SRD

Postby Lulu » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:10 am

Well, I wish they wrote better. :lol:
Lulu

Postby Maths girl » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:11 am

SRD wrote::oops: Blind as a bat me!

I don't think it reads as if Cot is elsewhere. The card appears to be written by B to Jack saying that someone else (which I think is a forename and surname) is pleased that Cot (Jack's wife) can put them up. The 'someone else' will pick them up in the morning and take them to Jack & Cot's house expecting to arrive in Wimbledon on Thursday night.

I've been trying this again -- amazing how difficult it is to put meaning to words that are simple in the English language without knowing the background.

I still think the "someone else" is a Mrs ???? -- but that B & J are going to Cot's and will be arriving on Thursday and then at some time after that they will be picked up by Mrs ??? so that she can see Cot.
Maths girl

Postby SRD » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:37 pm

It doesn't help that punctuation seemed to be a foreign land to the writer.
SRD

Postby Lulu » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:53 pm

:lol: as I said somewhere in here, they used to write in what would be text speak today. These postcards were the equivalent of a text message, back in the days when hardly anyone had a phone and postcards were how you phoned home.
Lulu

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:19 am

rockyfowler wrote:1911
HUDNOTT, Henry John Head Married M 55 1856 General Smith And Hot Crooked Billet Wimbledon
HUDNOTT, Cahrlotte Wife Married F 45 1866 Water Engineer Lenham Kent
TWYMAN, Nora Cecila Boarder Single F 47 1864 Jaffna Ceyton

44 Durham Road Wimbledon S W

the name lot would make sense then if John (jacks wife)
Northern Lass

Return to Postcards and People