Postcard featuring Isabella Walker-1a and 1b

Do you have an old Postcard that you would like to reunite with its original family? Or maybe just let others know the information on one you own?
If so have a look in this section.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Re: Bella??

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:26 am

Thanks Yorkshire Lad for all that info I have added here
http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... =930985297

I may split this off to run with the different folk in General discussion later
so we keep this section for the Black Country area.

You mentioned barracks in W'ton

does anyone know if there were any?
Northern Lass

Re: The Walker family as I know it part 2

Postby YorkshireLad » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Hello

Everyone. The last info with Isabella, Ruth and the Garlicks is all spot on. I have been told previously that Nurse child is akin to fostered. Do you agree? Certainly Ruth Sykes wife of Francis was born out of wedlock to Sarah. I have a much on the Sykes family too but supporting confirmation is always welcome. Incidentally as I am very much a Yorkshire lad some of this info is supported by sight of physical parish records on fiche and also transcribed records from Pontefract FHS. Of course I then have family info.

To continue with Isabellas siblings.

Ruth Sykes (daur) was known as Jo. Dont are ancestors make things difficult!!! She was born 20/10/1905 Pontefract. I have a death registered Wakefield in 1979 with no specifics.
Ruth married George Norman Paver known as Norman in Pontefract in 1944 Q1 born Ponte 1903 April. He died in Pontefract in 1981

Claude Milton Walker born 14 May 1912 Pontefract. He worked for Rowbottoms at several locations including Woolley.
Claude I suspect (doubt here) married a Lucy Chilton at Pontefract in 1936 Q1 -Claude died 2002 June Pontefract.

A little story for you here and believe me this is genuine. The Walkers proved to be a very interesting family.
One couple emigrated to Australia leaving Liverpool for Sydney the journey took about 93 days on the Herald with the travel being Eastward. All they had was a 6 foot narrower than a present single bed for the whole family. The family lost a child en route and more than one in Australia. Of course having suffered greatly in harsh conditions they left Australia and sailed on the Le Hogue (I have a photo). The Le Hogue was seen as the fastest of its time. It was also disguised to guard against Pirates. The ship was made to appear to have gun ports but actually had no armament at all. The Le Hogue sailed East as well and sailed up the coast of South America. A child was born off Recife and I have the latitude and longitude as this was in the Masters log. The log book is in Australia. The child had me stumpted for a while. Prior to the knowledge they had been to Australia. Anyway the child was named Liner Charles Walker. The ship berthed in London and they family returned to Pontefract. Journey time was 91 days.

More on the Walkers to come.
YorkshireLad

Re: Bella??

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:18 am

thanks YL I have added some of that

going to move this to General discussion now as it is spanning other counties of Uk

So how do you know that mother is Sarah for Ruth sykes?
did it say that on marriage?
Northern Lass

Re: Bella and The Walker family

Postby YorkshireLad » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi

Ruth Sykes gave me quite a headache. Initially I went down the wrong path. Assuming what was not possible. All came to light through transcribed records. Help from Pontefract FHS Vice Chairman too.

Ruth was an illegitimate child b 14/2/1871 Burghwallis to Sarah Sykes -Ruth died 16/2/1959 and was buried 19/2/1959 at Pontefract. Having died Headlands Hospital, Pontefract.

Sarah Ann Sykes was a Housemaid and I think that is why she could not keep the child. She worked for the Roper family
She was born Brackenhill in 1854 and was baptised 11/6/1854. She died in Pontefract in 1925
Sarah married Arthur Heseltine in 1883. Sarah was the daughter of John Sykes and Sarah Lee (Sister of Mary Lee who married John Garlick)

Re the Walkers

Francis Henry Walker was born 1867 Pontefract. Occupation a Colliery Banksman. The family believes he died of an Illness not an industrial accident but death was on the 1/3/1916. With Bella leaving, Francis passing and the loss of Jack. I think Ruth would have wondered what she had done to deserve it. Life must have been very tough with Claude in 1917 being just 5 years of age.

Francis Henry was the Son of James Walker and Isabella Brierley so as Isabella was clearly given her grandmothers name.
It was James and Isabella who left for Australia in 1856. The dynasty could have ended quite easily! They had 10 children including 3 girls. The first five children were lost within 1 year of birth. John the 6th survived.

James was a bricklayer clearly a job in demand in Australia even today. Baptised 17/10/1830 in Pontefract and died 18/10/1885 at 8 Friarwood Terrace, Pontefract and is buried Pontefract. He married Isabella in Featherstone 8/7/1855
The bed they had on the Voyage to Australia was just 30 inches wide. I think Hot Bunks did not begin with the current generation of Sailors on Warships do you? The home on Friarwood is where they lived mostly after the return and as at 2007 was still standing!!!!

Isabella was bapt 30/12/1836 Pontefract although this was a difficult one to define. She died 18/2/1894 at 8 Friarwood Terrace. The family home.At least she would have known about her grandaughter.

I will cover off the children of the couple tomorrow. Isabella's mother Charlotte Mennards is still a problem. I cant find her.
I suspect she will be in a related or nearby Parish such as Darrington or Womersley that I still have to research. Another lady in the tree Ann Perfect is a similar problem.

The Walkers are back to 1713c with William but I am foundering with him and the next step. I did manage to view the fiche for his son but it was poor quality and I still have to take time out trying to find him myself. I am hopeful that Pontefract FHS will produce the transcription but like Charlotte and Ann I think William is not to be found in Pontefract Parish.

Until the next time.

Yorkshire Lad
YorkshireLad

Re: Postcard featuring Isabella Walker-1a and 1b

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:18 pm

This Postcard is now in the posession of Graham

:grin:
Northern Lass

Previous

Return to Postcards and People