Dudley GS or Corngreaves Boys or ?

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Re: Dudley GS or Corngreaves Boys or ?

Postby linell » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:21 am

I cannot imagine that any of the Primary Schools in Cradley Heath or Old Hill where the Staff would have worn gowns or that the children would have worn uniforms. I wonder if it was one of the Private Schools like Dudley Blue Coat School or Mrs Harper's Private School at Haden Hill :?: Certainly your picture does not look like any run of the mill Primary School MG :?:

Linell.
linell

Postby linell » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:23 am

Looking at the picture again, the boys look older, it must be Dudley Grammar, they look older than 11 don't you think :?:

Linell.
linell

Postby peterd » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:17 am

dont think this is a state run school, so poss dudley grammer, dont know if you noticed poss fountian pen or something simalar in the boy pocket, end right hand side middle row

front row all good polished shoes i know my mum as kids didnt have shoes like that :lol: (as i have had the lucky to be born speech also war time?)

also front row second from right looks like poss pocket watch chain from lapel to pocket (might be clearer if blown up )
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Maths girl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:53 pm

Thank everyone for their input on this -- I have just been sorting through "my clutter" -- (note to NL yes I am a hoarder!)

I have found a badge with my father's initials engraved on it and a note that I obviously jotted down when Mum was explaining -- that it was given to dad because he was "Head Boy" at Corngreaves ? -(this was Mum's question mark) - Boys Junior School -- it adds specifically not Reddall Hill!

The back is engraved with "The Henry Woodhouse Medal for exemplary conduct & unselfish service -Awarded to Barry Gladders 1940"

Sadly although my Mum often mentioned her school days my dad never did -- maybe if he had lived longer (he died at 57) he would have been more forthcoming.

So who was Henry Woodhouse? -- Where are there likely to be any surviving records of Corngreaves Boys Junior School? -- can anyone help?
Maths girl

Postby BC Wench » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Corngreaves would come under Sandwell. You can contact Sandwell Archives to find out if they have any documents on this school. Found this web site for the school http://corngreaves.sandwell.sch.uk/sch-history.shtml

Barb
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby linell » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi MG, I have heard of the 'Henry Woodhouse Shield' I believe he was some local benefactor, here are a few notes about him:-

http://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/l ... tary_Club/

I have some pictures of the children and Staff of Corngreaves, sadly the pictures are dated 1896, my Gt Uncle was just a Teacher back then, rather than the Head Master, he was born 1870, so probably retired more like 1930 :!:

Send me your email address and I will send you a copy of the pictures, Linell.
linell

Postby Maths girl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:28 pm

More developments:I went searching again and among my mother's certificates -- why did she put them there? - I found my Dad's old school reports from Dudley Grammar School -- and various photos of the sports teams that he was in and one dated 1944 and signed on the back by presumably the pupils and teacher -

Does anyone else think that this photo and the previous one were taken in front of the same building? plus the first report in my dad's book states there were 27 in his class -- the same as in the first picture posted --

VLA DGS 1944.JPG
VLA DGS 1944.JPG (56.45 KiB) Viewed 1944 times

It appears they took a photo of the form in the first and last year of attendance -- or that is when my grandparents chose to buy one even if they were available for the other years.

Thank you everyone for your ideas and help -- if anyone is interested in the list of names recorded on the reverse of the 1944 photo let me know. My dad is Back row third from left.
Maths girl

Postby mallosa » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Maths girl wrote: if anyone is interested in the list of names recorded on the reverse of the 1944 photo let me know. My dad is Back row third from left.

Yes please!! Would be great to have photos to add to the 'Schools & Schoolchildren' section in our Gallery too MG :wink:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Maths girl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:14 pm

mallosa wrote:
Maths girl wrote: if anyone is interested in the list of names recorded on the reverse of the 1944 photo let me know. My dad is Back row third from left.

Yes please!! Would be great to have photos to add to the 'Schools & Schoolchildren' section in our Gallery too MG :wink:

Sent you an e-mail San
Maths girl

Postby mallosa » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks very much MG, got those photos and will add tomorrow :grin:

Cheers!
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby cid » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi MG

Spoke to my Mother last night, she told me that Corngreaves junior schools were not mixed. The boys went to the school in Meredith Street (now knocked down), and the girls went to the top building of the school in Plant St. The infants were at the bottom building in Plant St. next to the library. The Plant St school is still there, but the buildings are now joined by a hall (built in the 70's).
A few years ago they had an open day in which they let members of the public go into the school and view some of their old documents. Mom found her aunts admission records there from about 1905 onwards.
There were also some disciplinary note books with crimes and punishments in them!!!!!!
They are in the process of clearing out a lot of old photos, so if you want to get in touch to see if they have any info on your Dad, their number is 01384 569333.

Cid
cid

Postby Maths girl » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi Cid

Just got back from a few days away -- thank you for this info -- it helps to plae my dad -- I will try that number on Monday

Maths girl
Maths girl

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous