Bela Lugosi at Accles & Pollock's in Oldbury in 1951

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Re: Bela Lugosi at Accles & Pollock's in Oldbury in 1951

Postby Andi Brooks » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Antie Em wrote:He's a footballier Andi - played for a local team. Sat next to him once in West Bromwich Hospital - I had two injured kids - one with a broken arm and the other with a sprained ankle (yes, I was questioned at reception to make sure I hadn't been battering them). He'd had an injury to his stomach - Obviously in the days before they earned mega bucks and could afford the Priory.

Bela was a big football fan. He sponsored Hungarian teams in Hollwood when he had money, which wasn't very often!
Andi Brooks

Postby Andi Brooks » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Rob wrote:Sorry Andi but Antie Em is known for going off thread!! :roll:
The Hypo was the mill next to G mill or was it F mill.Right on Rounds Green Road by Rounds Green School.It It was where really small tubes were drawn. Hypodermic?
I only joined Accles's to play football for The Colts!! :lol:
Now where were we.Bela Lugsi at Accles & Pollocks in 1951.

Bela was fascinated with science and technology. He claimed to have read only one novel - can you guess which one? He read a wide range of newspapers and magazines. When he visited places such as Accles and Pollocks he wasn't interested in talking about himself and movies, he would surprise his hosts with lots of technical questions about their business.
I'm sure he would have chatted until the cows came home with Auntie Em :wink:
Andi Brooks

Postby Rob » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Someone told me that Antie Em has that effect on animals!! A sort of female Doctor Doolittle!!
Rob

Postby Antie Em » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Andi Brooks wrote:
The Hypo was the mill next to G mill or was it F mill.Right on Rounds Green Road by Rounds Green School.It It was where really small tubes were drawn. Hypodermic?

Bela was fascinated with science and technology. He claimed to have read only one novel - can you guess which one? He read a wide range of newspapers and magazines. When he visited places such as Accles and Pollocks he wasn't interested in talking about himself and movies, he would surprise his hosts with lots of technical questions about their business.

Oh yesssss....... - now who mentioned Geoff Astle :?
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby peterd » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Andi Brooks wrote:

war of the worlds or metropollis ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Antie Em » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:37 am

H G Wells - The Time Machine :?:
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:21 am

Andi Brooks wrote:Hello, I'm researching Bela Lugosi's British tour of Dracula in 1951. He toured Britain for 6 months in the play between April and October and made a film, Mother Riley Meets The Vampire before returning to America. From May 28- June 26 he performed at the Dudley Hippodrome and 0n May 29, with his wife Lillian, he visited the Accles and Pollock’s works in Oldbury. The event was covered in the Weekly News and featured a photo of Bela with "19-year-old typist Iris Saunders, of 22, Parsons Hill, Warley". I'd be very interested to here from anyone who worked at Accles and Pollock's at that time or from anybody who saw the play or met Lugosi.
I'm looking forward to hearing your memories.
Amdi Brooks

Getting back on thread please :roll:

I am moving this to the misc gen discussion as a sticky for the moment
Northern Lass

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous