Transcribing for FreeREG

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Transcribing for FreeREG

Postby BC Wench » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:32 pm

Here we go mjay and anyone else who is interested in transcribing for FreeREG. Take a look at this post on the forum made by Dale Braden who is the Staffordshire Coordinator. It's very self-explanatory.

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=23430

Jonathan Maxfield goes to the various Black Country Archives, takes scans from the original parish registers and transfers them on to films, which are then sent to us, one register at a time, to which we then transcribe from. So we work from original records.

If we have any problems in not being able to read anything on the parish entry, Dale and Jonathan are only ever a "stones throw away" behind us to help us out with anything at all. Even down to helping us out to download WinREG, which is mentioned in the above post.

I can really recommend helping to transcribe these parish registers, especially for Staffordshire, which I have been doing for about 9 years now. There is definitely no pressure on how many entries you transcribe. In fact, I sometimes have a slight break getting away from the computer and then all of sudden I want to start transcribing again.

Jonathan's web site which covers Staffordshire & The Black Country is a real "must" to read

https://blackcountryparishregisters.weebly.com/

I would urge anybody who is in a "shall I, shan't I" mood, to go for it. You won't know until you try!!
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: Transcribing for FreeREG

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:06 am

moved to misc. section.
Thanks for info Barb! :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby mjay » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:47 pm

Thanks for all the info BC Wench.
Hope you get more transcribers for such a valuable resource.
Researching: Yates,Hunt,Brookes,Artess,Sheldon,Thornton,Hooper,Crowley,Lacy,Downes,Weaver,Artess
mjay

Postby BC Wench » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:05 pm

You are very welcome mjay. Hope to see you soon on FreeREG.

Anybody else out there who would like to offer something back to FreeREG by transcribing, especially for Staffordshire?

I was just thinking - there has to be quite a few of us on this forum who have got loads of information by now on their family history, so why not spend a few hours a week on transcribing for FreeREG to help the "newbies" find their families
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Miscellaneous