Old photo repair

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Old photo repair

Postby ManchesterPete » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:17 pm

Are there any companies or people out there who can physically repair old photos? I have an old photo and a portion of the photo surface has peeled off and curled up. Most of it is still there but I am far too clumsy to try and repair the damage!

All the web searches I have tried refer only to digital repair of scanned images but the photo needs physicallynputting back together before a scan.

Any leads would be appreciated.
ManchesterPete

Re: Old photo repair

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:13 am

Moving to misc. section.

Someone on this forum used to do it.
Red rose photos I think it was.
search that on this forum see if it helps.
Northern Lass

Re: Old photo repair

Postby Welshgen1 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:25 pm

This is an old post but worth an answer for future reference. Manuscripts, old books, even cloth are preserved in controlled environments these days in museums and archives. This is were photos and Bishops Transcripts, etc. are to be found. They have the restoration and preservation down to a fine artform now and this is where you need to go for advice and maybe even have your photo restored. Visit your local archive, museum and ask if they can help or suggest someone who can.
Photos, postcards, even letters should be kept in albums, NOT shoe boxes or box files. The side with the photo on can not expand or in theory contract. The other side if exposed to humidity in the air, grease from your hands can and will if allowed to which is why the photo curls.
Welshgen1

Return to Miscellaneous