Electoral registers

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Electoral registers

Postby Frodo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:17 pm

Ancestry seems to have released a lot of polling district electoral rolls from around 1885 onwards. I have been looking through them for various relatives as a source of residence but I am wondering if anyone knows how they decided to include people on the list. I know property ownership was key but I would have expected age to play a part.
A search shows that on the 1915 Northern Parliamentary Division of Worcester no.8 Hill Polling District Joseph Nathan and Albert David Manger Taylor are both listed as living at 40 Malt Mill Lane and qualifying because they had a share in freehold houses - Albert had Chapel Street, Joseph had 39-42 Malt Mill Lane (premises built and lived in by Nathan Taylor) but Joseph was born 1896, Albert 1897 so neither age 21 which I would have thought was a qualifying age. Is this likely?
Frodo

Re: Electoral registers

Postby BC Wench » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:28 pm

This is a good site about electoral registers

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/El ... in_England
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: Electoral registers

Postby Frodo » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:37 pm

Thanks It looks like in 1915 the register was more like a census and ownership of property was the leading factor in placing a name on the register. It seems to have been the last register before the war intervened and everything changed in 1918
Frodo

Return to Miscellaneous