Anc or fmp?

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Anc or fmp?

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:26 am

Just wanted opinions really... On which you think is better? Or is it a good idea to have both?
Mrs.S2012

Re: Anc or fmp?

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:40 am

You need both if you can afford it as more new records added to both and updated weekly ,if I had to choose I would keep Ancestry Kind Regards RF
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:24 pm

I did think having both might be worthwhile.. I wondered if each site holds different records. I'll probably go for both then!
Mrs.S2012

Postby SRD » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:51 am

Most UK libraries carry Ancestry and I find I'm using the LDS Family Search more and more.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby rockyfowler » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:45 am

Best to use the free services if possible for short transcripts only and finding records - but to see the actual records and all the details from LDS Films they are loaned to archives who then sell rights of films and holding of parish records (on going) to to FMP or Ancestry :idea: FMP have a good selection of used newspapers which are best looked up on the main newspaper archive site it has a better finding tool, then find them on FMP . :wink:

FMP update today

Findmypast - New record releases
New records this week

Newspapers
Wales Billion Graves Cemetery Index
Explore the final resting places of your Welsh ancestors with over 36,000 new records.
Search these records
Newspapers
Hampshire Baptisms
Do you have ancestors from Hampshire? Discover where they were baptised in the 5 newly added parishes.
Search these records
Newspapers
Hampshire Marriages
If you have Hampshire heritage, check to see where they married in the 4 new parishes.
Search these records

Newspapers
Hampshire Burials
With 5 new parishes added, discover whaere your ancestors were laid to rest.
Search these records

EXTRA! EXTRA!
Did your ancestors make headlines?

This week we’ve added four brand new political publications and more pages to eighteen existing titles, including the Chester Chronicle.

Search all newspapers New records
Resurfaced Records
Facts & Finds

We discovered the future Labour leader, Welsh-born Aneurin Bevan as a boy in the 1901 Census. He would go on to found the National Health Service in 1946.

View the record
The largest collection of Welsh records online

Findmypast - New record releases
Discover your wondrous Welsh ancestry.
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Mrs.S2012 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:45 pm

Cool, definitely sounds like FMP is worth having alongside anc. I did have them both originally but found I wasn't using fmp much so I cancelled it... But now I'm looking into things in more detail I think it could be useful!
Mrs.S2012

Return to Miscellaneous