Why Nobility?

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Why Nobility?

Postby Deckie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:45 am

This is my first attempt at trying to trace my family tree (just using the Ancestry website so far) and I'm puzzled as to why my family lines (of which there are many) going back to the 14th,15th and sometimes the 16th centuries are all of noble stock being a Sir, Baron, Lord, Lady, Duchess, etc. I realise this doesn’t mean anything now and that their ancestors would run into the many thousands after all this time but all of them? Really? What about the many and the good non-nobility people of that time? I find it difficult to believe that every family line would be rooted in nobility. What am I doing wrong or is the system? Can anybody throw a light please?
Thanks.
Deckie

Re: Why Nobility?

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:17 am

Hi my Lord or Ladyship, its a beginners thing we all do get exited and carried away some go on to research properly such as on sites like this :grin: others like to have it made into scrolls and posters ,a talking point for friends and guests .It`s just down to choice Welcome to the site and good luck with your tree best to start pruning :grin: Kind Regards RF
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Deckie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:16 pm

Thanks Rockyfowler. Having over 1000 people on the tree now, I was concerned that someone might say that it happens when you rely on the ancestry hints to build the tree and that most of them are probably wrong. As it is, I guess it's probably ok then but I still suspect that something funny is going on :think:
Deckie

Postby SRD » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:33 am

Don't rely on other people's research too much, do your own and then you'll know that any mistakes are your own and not someone else's. :grin:
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby rockyfowler » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:06 pm

If you need a proper real Family Tree-
I think most people can prove their way back to around early 1800s use of local Archives, Ancestry, FMP, Family search etc, then it gets difficult having to search actual local records unless you are a celeb and the BBC will use our money licence fees (Lots of it :cry: ) to pay the archives to look for them to get their history, and only if its a good one put it on their show :oops:. So normal people need a lot of footwork and luck to find ours no books open ready for us to look in at the Archives- we have to trawl through ourselves :grin:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Return to Miscellaneous