Wood Street, St Pancras?

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Wood Street, St Pancras?

Postby gandalf458x » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:49 pm

Hi all

Can anyone throw any light on the location of Wood Street, Ossulstone, Middlesex (St Pancras)? It appears in an 1841 census entry but I can't find it in lists of old street names of London and the nearest existing road of that name is in the City of London, which doesn't count as Middlesex.

Thanks
Ever wondered whose idea it was to put "Warning: a certificate is not evidence of identity" on a DEATH certificate?!
gandalf458x

Re: Wood Street, St Pancras?

Postby grangers14 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:50 am

From the enumeration district of 1841 the enumerator was covering... Grays Inn Lane...
Cromer Street, 1-118, the whole of Brighton, Wood Street, Caroline Place inc court at the back of 22 Cromer Street, and also 3 houses at the west end of Manchester Street the one adjoining the Duke of Wellington Public House, and the others now occupied by Mrs Pete? and Mr Bradford numbers inclusive.

There are a few things showing that area.
grangers14

Postby gandalf458x » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:19 am

Many thanks @grainers14. That gives me an idea where it was. Odd that Wood Street is not listed amongst old London streets. And it begs the question, what happened to Brighton Street, Manchester Street and Caroline Place... Something to keep me out of mischief for a while. Thanks again
Ever wondered whose idea it was to put "Warning: a certificate is not evidence of identity" on a DEATH certificate?!
gandalf458x

Postby gandalf458x » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:27 pm

In case anyone else is interested in future, I contacted Camden Local Studies library and they informed me that what was Wood Street is now Midhope Street, and what was Brighton Street is now Whidborne Street.
gandalf458x

Postby grangers14 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:20 pm

Glad you found the area! :)
grangers14

Return to Miscellaneous