Transporting bodies from Birmingham to Wordsley

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Transporting bodies from Birmingham to Wordsley

Postby Marchesgirl » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:52 pm

I've recently been doing some research into a distant cousin, Sarah Osborne nee Cardo. Sarah was born at Wordsley in 1844 and married John Osborne, a miller from Evesham, at St. Thomas's Church Dudley in 1867. During the 1870s they moved firstly to Swan Village and then to the courts in Hurst Street, Birmingham. John died in 1883 and Sarah died in 1886; their youngest son, Joseph Edward died in 1881 and eldest daughter, Sarah Jane, in 1886. All four deaths occurred in Birmingham (in the parish of St. Thomas) but all four were buried at Holy Trinity Church, Wordsley.

What would have been the most likely method of transporting the bodies from Birmingham to Wordsley? My initial thought was canal but not sure how long this would take. Also, why go to the trouble of transporting the bodies to Wordsley when there were burials grounds in Birmingham? As far as I can tell, the family wasn't wealthy - there are no wills, no gravestones and their surviving children appear to have gone into service after the deaths of their parents.
Marchesgirl

Re: Transporting bodies from Birmingham to Wordsley

Postby SRD » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:40 am

I don't know the answer to your query but googling uk burial practices in the nineteenth century threw up an awful lot of information.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Return to Miscellaneous