Tracing unknown grand mother

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Tracing unknown grand mother

Postby cliffordbolton » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:34 am

Being brought up by Barnardo's, I never knew my parents. I now am in contact with a half sibling and we have both taken dna tests.Will the shared matches we have be on our mothers side. Am I right in thinking that if I go back to GGG parent or however far back I need to go, I then have to find all the siblings of ggg parent and research them forward. If yes do I do just the maternal side or both male and female.
Many thanks.
cliffordbolton

Re: Tracing unknown grand mother

Postby peterd » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:16 pm

if you and your half sister has a positive match with some one it should give you roughly the generation apart ie gen 4.7 would be easier if you can get access to their tree as a 4.7 will mean somewhere about 1800 to 1850 you connect have you tried loading your tree onto genesis gedmatch . com as their a couple of facebook genealogy groups us matchmaker to help you make group matches you can always ask in general Discussion for help to trace people in the census etc

your join DNA match to others could come from your g mothers or G father side and if only one of you matches poss its your father side
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Return to Miscellaneous