Find My Past: Certificates?

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Find My Past: Certificates?

Postby kr236rk » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi,

Just back from the local library.

Found three possible references to chase up - a census, marriage & birth :)

But all Find My Past will show me are basic transcripts of images - which are nothing more than lists. I was not allowed to view any birth or marriage certificates, not even thumb-nails. This means I can't go through the certificates looking for parents' names or the names of witnesses as family members, which would cross-reference results :(

Was expecting more because about a month ago Ancestry did a 24 hour 'open search' on censuses and I managed to get quite a few screen shots of promising material.

What is the advantage of using library access to these genealogical sites over using a private computer please?

Many thanks - but puzzled. :-|
kr236rk

Re: Find My Past: Certificates?

Postby SRD » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:57 am

Presumably libraries pay a licence fee for full access, my local library has full access to Ancestry.co.uk which can be accessed via a direct link on the index page but you have to search for FMP using a search engine which only gives you the same access as you would get at home without being a paid up member.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby BC Wench » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:45 pm

It sounds to me that your library isn't subscribed to Find My Past. I have a subscription with FMP, but, if I don't sign in, like you, I just get a list of names and can't access the images.

On any subscription site such as FMP or Ancestry, you won't be able to see any birth or death certificates, you have to purchase these from the Register Office where the birth or death took place, or order them from the GRO here

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/cert ... /Login.asp

They are cheaper online from the GRO, but they are black writing on a white background, not the coloured paper that the Register Office uses.

On the subscription web sites there are baptisms and burials, but not all areas are covered yet.

If you can let us know who you are looking for then either myself or someone else will take a look for you on the subscription web sites. Is your library subscribed to Ancestry, as most are, if so, then you should be able to get copies.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby kr236rk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:08 pm

Thanks SRD & BC Wench :)

There are definitely advantages to using my local library because I tried the exact same FMP search when I got home but as soon as you get a positive match & click on it, you are asked to subscribe & can't see anything more: 'pay-wall'. But at the library you are given the next stage of information which allows you to decide whether the match is close enough to order a certificate.

I've ordered one as a tester, pdf & much cheaper than one that comes through the post.

So I'm pleased my trip to the library was positive.

Am trying to map out a Powell surname which was associated with North London, Hampstead. It's a bit of a 'Poirot' because my paternal grandmother was a maiden Powell of Hampstead (or Dalston) yet moved to Bromley in Kent, and I wondered why Kent? I'm wondering if there was a family connection with Kent from previous generations. The trouble is, I am coasting towards the 1837 watershed, beyond which tracing surnames becomes more difficult.

Several ladies from this line were associated with the laundry trade, and several of the men-folk were associated with horses, ostlers and cab drivers for example, so I think there's some form of family tradition going on here - but it's vague, and I could be wrong.

The earliest I have is a Thomas Powell ['ostler'] b.1791, d.abt 1845 and his spouse Charlotte b.1801, d.abt 1871 who may have had the maiden name of (?) Marles. On an 1851 Census: HO107, Piece 1492, Folio 114, Page 15, a Charlotte Powell (Head, widow) is listed as "washerwoman", so the laundry and horse association is also there. Charlotte's age is 50 on the census so that ties in with her birth year. Thomas and Charlotte would be my paternal great gt gt grandparents.

Many kind thanks :)
kr236rk

Postby SRD » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:41 am

Probably better to start a new topic in General Discussion giving all the details you have that way topics don't get confused.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby kr236rk » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Okay thanks :)

Shall I post what I have of my Powell family tree as well, please?
kr236rk

Return to Miscellaneous