Which Genealogy Subscription?

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Which Genealogy Subscription?

Postby kr236rk » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi,

Which company offers the best subscription for accessing records please - census and MBD certificates?

I am very wary of subscriptions which tie in to lengthy periods of time or 'catch you out' with time limits that automatically renew subscriptions unless you cancel in time. I notice a lot of these companies want card details up front, from the word go.

So who are the most trustworthy and reasonable companies please - giving value for money?

Many thanks,

Ric
kr236rk

Re: Which Genealogy Subscription?

Postby SRD » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:53 am

Depending on where you live and how much time you've got to spare most UK public libraries have access to Ancestry. There's also a lot of free stuff around. Personally I use MyHeritage because I like the front end of it but none of the apps carry everything, that's one of the advantages of this place, people will usually look stuff up for you if you don't have access to particular records.
Regarding card details upfront, I'm not aware of any companies that don't require them.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby sparkstopper » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:11 am

I find 'Find my Past' easier to use and gives most info: on census and BMD. For anything you can't find
there is probably someone on this site that will give a helping hand.
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:18 am

Moving this to miscellaneous section.
Northern Lass

Postby kr236rk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:04 pm

SRD wrote:Depending on where you live and how much time you've got to spare most UK public libraries have access to Ancestry. There's also a lot of free stuff around. Personally I use MyHeritage because I like the front end of it but none of the apps carry everything, that's one of the advantages of this place, people will usually look stuff up for you if you don't have access to particular records.
Regarding card details upfront, I'm not aware of any companies that don't require them.

Thank you SRD. Will follow up.
kr236rk

Postby kr236rk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:05 pm

sparkstopper wrote:I find 'Find my Past' easier to use and gives most info: on census and BMD. For anything you can't find

Many thanks Sparkstopper.
kr236rk

Postby kr236rk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:09 pm

SRD wrote: most UK public libraries have access to Ancestry.

How does this work please?

How do I access Ancestry at my local public library?

Would I sign up with Ancestry when logged into a library computer - the sign-up differing from one from a private pc?

Lots of questions - sorry! :-o

Many thanks.
kr236rk

Postby BC Wench » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:17 pm

Each public library or Archives has their own password for Ancestry, where usually a Staff Member would log you on.

Like Sparkstopper, I prefer Find My Past. At the top right hand corner of their web site, once you have logged on, it tells you when your next subscription is due.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby kr236rk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:27 pm

BC Wench wrote:Each public library or Archives has their own password for Ancestry, where usually a Staff Member would log you on.

Like Sparkstopper, I prefer Find My Past. At the top right hand corner of their web site, once you have logged on, it tells you when your next subscription is due.

This is helpful, thank you. Sounds like I need to ask at my local library what their arrangement with Ancestry is.

Can you cancel at Find My Past if you do not wish to re-subscribe please?
kr236rk

Postby BC Wench » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:19 am

Yes you can cancel if you don't want to re-subscribe. If you look on FMP web site under Help it explains there how to cancel. You can try for a monthly subscription.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby kr236rk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:56 pm

BC Wench wrote:Yes you can cancel if you don't want to re-subscribe. If you look on FMP web site under Help it explains there how to cancel. You can try for a monthly subscription.

Many thanks BC Wench :)
kr236rk

Postby kr236rk » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:17 am

sparkstopper wrote:I find 'Find my Past' easier to use and gives most info: on census and BMD. For anything you can't find

Hi Sparkstopper,

Checked with my local library & they have access to Find My Past :) A complete newb, what are the advantages of a library connection to FMP as opposed to using my ancient pc at home please?

I have a free account with FMP & can log in now.

Have at least three good dates for certificates to chase up - hoping these will provide missing relatives' names for the genealogical tree.
kr236rk

Return to Miscellaneous