Counties of Sheffield and York

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Counties of Sheffield and York

Postby gandalf458x » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:55 pm

I have a birth certificate of my grandfather who was born in Ecclesall Bierlow in 1892. It gives EB as being in the Counties of Sheffield and
York. I note that the pre-printed part of BMD certificates has "Count__" allowing for a "y" or "ies" to be added. However, Sheffield isn't and wasn't a county, and a place can't be in more than one county anyway, can it?

Can anyone explain what it means?
Ever wondered whose idea it was to put "Warning: a certificate is not evidence of identity" on a DEATH certificate?!
gandalf458x

Re: Counties of Sheffield and York

Postby gardener » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi

Is this a certificate that you purchased (and not the one issued in 1892)?

If so, it could be because Ecclesall Bierlow civil parish was in Yorkshire (West Riding) originally, but was abolished and became part of Ecclesall in 1904 (still Yorkshire), and then that was abolished and became part of the civil parish of Sheffield in 1933.

So perhaps the Sheffield bit got stuffed in there to reflect that the place is no longer in the EB sub-district, and now registers as Sheffield.

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/ ... erlow.html
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby gandalf458x » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks. It is a certified copy, but dated 1946, not one I purchased.

I wondered if it was because Sheffield used to be a county borough and therefore had some of the powers of a county.
Ever wondered whose idea it was to put "Warning: a certificate is not evidence of identity" on a DEATH certificate?!
gandalf458x

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:05 am

Moving to misc section
Northern Lass

Postby Frodo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:43 pm

I lived in Ecclesall when my parents moved to Sheffield in 1967. It is in the south west of Sheffield and a strange mix of student population through to some very upmarket houses. It has a postcode of Sheffield 11 and is in the Hallam district for election purposes - it used to have Nick Clegg as it's MP and his constituency residence was round the corner from my parent's house. As far as I can tell the County of Yorkshire sometimes used to be called the county of York but I've not seen Sheffield added to the title. There were a lot of changes when Local government changed in 1974 and Sheffield became a metropolitan borough and part of South Yorkshire.
Frodo

Return to Miscellaneous