CARN, ARA and Dudley Archives Centre

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

CARN, ARA and Dudley Archives Centre

Postby Waltzer7 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi,

I have visited the Dudley Archives Centre online, trying to register and came across CARN and ARA. http://www.archives.org.uk/images/CALGG ... y_2015.pdf

I'm wondering if it is worth me registering with CARN and how helpful is having a CARN ticket? Has anyone has had experience of using CARN and ARA?

Looking on this link: http://www.dudley.gov.uk/resident/libra ... -services/ As I no longer live locally, am wondering whether it would benefit me to pay someone to do the research on my behalf? I have to admit that I'm hoping the cost won't be too expensive?

I would very much appreciate some feedback from members who have used the above services before I go ahead.
Waltzer7

Re: CARN, ARA and Dudley Archives Centre

Postby gardener » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:19 pm

I expect someone will correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that ARA is a professional society for the people doing the archiving and record management, and CARN seems to be a system that allows a member of the public to register at the archives in one place and then go to a different archives and not need to prove identification.

I just used the Devon Archives and had to provide a utility bill with my address and some ID with my photo. Then they gave me a reader's card. If they were in the CARN scheme then I could use the same card when visiting a different archives.

I don't think either is any help for you.

Paying for research is expensive. I paid for a few things some years ago, before we got all these great online groups. I think it is best to just post problems and questions on sites like this or Rootschat or some local history sites. Most general research can be done like that. I would save paid research for something very specific, source material that is not available except in one archive, and only requiring a short time to look through it.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:25 am

I have a carn ticket and can then use it at smethwick and Dudley archives
Northern Lass

Postby grangers14 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:21 am

I will move this over to misc, section as this isn´t a beginners question.
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby grangers14 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:27 am

There is an area on here where you can ask for look ups,
viewforum.php?f=6

You may have to wait as it is only as and when people are able to go. It may help you?
What sort of things are you looking for?
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:23 am

If you do post in that area please remember to put the exact day month and year plus the exact church
or the ref entry (end number) and church and year from the bmsgh site
as that area is Only for look ups where the exact day month year or ref is known and of course the church.
it isn't for general area searches.

There is info how to post in that section.
:wink:
Northern Lass

Return to Miscellaneous