Copies of marriage entries from parish registers

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Copies of marriage entries from parish registers

Postby Marchesgirl » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:03 pm

I recently contacted a Record Office to enquire about obtaining a photocopy of a marriage entry from a parish register that they hold - I know the exact date, parish and details of the parties. I received the following response:

For post-1837 marriage entries, in accordance with the General Register Office’s rules, we are only able to supply copy marriage certificates for entries, rather than photocopies. A copy certificate costs £10, including postage.

I've asked other Record Offices for photocopies of post 1837 marriage entries in the past and always been able to purchase them at whatever cost they charge for photocopying entries. Has anyone else has a similar experience? Is this a new ruling?
Marchesgirl

Re: Copies of marriage entries from parish registers

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:58 pm

Is this From Registry office? I think you`ve been lucky so far to get copies -wish I could have :(
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Marchesgirl » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:43 pm

No, it's from a County Record Office. In the past, I've asked other Archives for a photocopy of a marriage entry in a parish register and only paid whatever fee they charge for a copy - typically less than £5 per entry. I don't want a copy marriage certificate or a certified copy - just a photocopy. As I see it, it's no different to me printing a copy from a microfilm / microfiche image during a personal visit, for which I wouldn't expect to pay £10. The only reason I'm asking them to copy it for me is because I live over 200 miles away from the Archives and it's the only record I'm interested in so it wouldn't be cost effective to visit. If I order a certificate from a Register Office then I expect to pay £10.
Marchesgirl

Postby rockyfowler » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:42 am

Thats Ok, its up each County Record Office (Archives) to set charges -they are run by local councils :wink:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:43 am

moved to misc.
Northern Lass

Postby BC Wench » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:44 am

It would depend if the entry you want a photocopy of is on microfilm at the Archives in question. If it is, then charging £10 for it is ridiculous, as you say, you can get a proper copy from the local Register Office for that.

If the register isn't on microfilm, some Archives won't photocopy directly from the register, as they have an obligation of keeping the registers in as good a condition as they can. There is one Archives that I know of who will photograph an entry, costs a little more than a photocopy, but still cheaper than £10.

It sounds to me that the Archives have got their wires crossed and if I were you I would contact them again.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Marchesgirl » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:40 pm

I contacted the Record Office again, explaining that I had not come across this ruling before and queried whether the records were on microform and thus whether I could print from microform if I made a personal visit. This was their response (they didn't clarify whether the records were held on microform or not):

"...the General Registry Office holds derestriction of these records, [Record Office] and the public do not have permission to make photocopies of records dated after 1837. We are allowed to provide copy marriage certificates only, or you can obtain a copy through the registry office website. If you visit the office you will not be allowed to make a photocopy."

I can only assume that this particular Record Office has either misunderstood the GRO rules or is applying them zealously whilst every other Record Office I've been in touch with over the years has been extremely lax.
If you take this to its logical conclusion, then surely you shouldn't be able to make a transcription of the record either unless you pay £10?
Marchesgirl

Postby rockyfowler » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:53 am

BC Wench wrote:It would depend if the entry you want a photocopy of is on microfilm at the Archives in question. If it is, then charging £10 for it is ridiculous, as you say, you can get a proper copy from the local Register Office for that.

If the register isn't on microfilm, some Archives won't photocopy directly from the register, as they have an obligation of keeping the registers in as good a condition as they can. There is one Archives that I know of who will photograph an entry, costs a little more than a photocopy, but still cheaper than £10.

It sounds to me that the Archives have got their wires crossed and if I were you I would contact them again.

Its Not the Archives (which are normally very helpful ) but the Record Office such as Dudley who would never copy and always charge £10 or more :wink:
rockyfowler

Return to Miscellaneous