19th Century trips to America

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

19th Century trips to America

Postby Frodo » Mon May 25, 2015 3:13 pm

Nathan and Lucretia Taylor went to America on 6th September 1860 (for around five years) and again in August 1870 (this time taking Martha Manger) travelling from Liverpool. Has anybody else got relatives leaving for America on these dates or information on what the trips may have been like.
Frodo

Re: 19th Century trips to America

Postby linell » Mon May 25, 2015 4:57 pm

I have Ancestors, who emigrated to Ohio 1862, sailed on the Greece from Liverpool. Believe conditions were pretty dire, as was the dried food and salted meat.
linell

Postby Frodo » Mon May 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Thought that must have been the case. My great grandfather was given a free passage by his then employer and seemed to do well while he was in America. I do not know which ships he sailed on but may have been the Jura on the first trip as the dates match those in Nathan's autobiography.
Frodo

Postby grangers14 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:24 pm

What was his dob may be we can find more?
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby SRD » Tue May 26, 2015 7:33 am

It depended on what class they sailed, steerage was very rough (but comparatively cheap), but the better cabins were as well appointed as a reasonable hotel of the day, if not better. We're talking about ships like the S.S. Great Britain (launched in 1845) not the ships of Tudor times. Wiki has a list of Victorian era ships many of which have more info behind the links.
Here's some detail from one of those ships:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Jacket_%28clipper%29 wrote:Her cabins, of which she has two, are under a poop deck. The saloon is 40 feet long by 14 wide, painted white, and ornamented with papier maché gilt work; in the centre of each panel is a representation of flowers, fruit and game. This saloon contains 20 state-rooms, ventilated and finished in a superior manner; the furniture, carpets, and drapery in each, being different. Each room has a square window on its side, and deck lights above. The after, or ladies' cabin, is 30 feet long by 13 wide, and contains eight state-rooms and a bath-room. This cabin is a miniature palace. It is wainscoted with mahogany, the entablatures are of rosewood, and the pillars of satinwood. The panels are ornamented with flowers, surrounded by gilt scroll work.
and this was a mainly cargo carrying clipper, not a full bloodied passenger ship.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Jimmy » Tue May 26, 2015 3:28 pm

From Ancestry.
Nathan Taylor. Miner.
Arrival Date: 13 Sep 1870.
Birth Date: abt 1833.
Ethnicity/ Nationality: English.
Place of Origin: England.
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England.
Destination: United States of America.
Port of Arrival: New York, New York.
Ship Name: City of Brooklyn.

Also Lucreta age 38.
Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Tue May 26, 2015 7:16 pm

Frodo wrote:Nathan and Lucretia Taylor went to America on 6th September 1860 (for around five years) and again in August 1870 (this time taking Martha Manger) travelling from Liverpool. Has anybody else got relatives leaving for America on these dates or information on what the trips may have been like.

Can't see this on Ancestry.
Jimmy

Postby Frodo » Tue May 26, 2015 8:02 pm

The trip found on Ancestry looks like it matches the information I have in the mini memoirs/autobiography Nathan wrote for his second trip to america. Nathan's d.o.b. was 25th October 1832. Lucretia Taylor (nee Round) was born c1832. They took their niece Martha Manger with them - she was born c1864. As far as I can tell they stayed in America for 4-5 years and returned home from Baltimore/Philadelphia to Liverpool in the company of a Jo Hackett of Pear Tree Street, Old Hill.
The first trip was from Liverpool on September 6th 1860 arriving Quebec 18th September - I have found the Steamship Jura in the Ships List which matches the journey and date but unable to find a passenger list - from what I've read there may be a problem with passenger lists to Canada pre 1865.
Frodo

Postby Frodo » Wed May 27, 2015 5:51 am

Found pictures of the ships on the internet - can't believe they made it to America as fast as they did-even though I guessed they would be like that seeing them makes the story come alive
Frodo

Postby grangers14 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:21 am

I am going to move this over to misc area Frodo.
Jo :)
grangers14

Return to Miscellaneous