Black Sheep

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Black Sheep

Postby jac » Mon May 04, 2015 8:20 am

Are we being dis-respectful by disclosing info re. our ancestors? Starting to feel a bit guilty.

Jac
jac

Re: Black Sheep

Postby Rob » Mon May 04, 2015 8:27 am

I feel like that too Jac. I have ancestors who've been in prison or insane. Or recent ones born out of wedlock. A hard call to make sometimes.Keep it to yourself or what ?
What Cole's are you related to?
Rob

Postby Northern Lass » Mon May 04, 2015 9:10 am

I think it is a way of remembering them
Northern Lass

Postby Rob » Mon May 04, 2015 10:41 am

That's true Jan. You've had a few black sheep in your tree and not been afraid to state it.
Rob

Postby SRD » Tue May 05, 2015 7:29 am

I'm not sure it's disrespectful, surely those of our ancestors who misbehaved were being disrespectful of their descendants who might have to live under the shadow of their misbehaviour, having said that I don't consider that having a mental illness is any different to having a physical illness, if we report that our ancestors suffered from TB or a bullet wound why not report that they had a mental illness? In some cases we are actually able to rehabilitate their reputations as many of the actions that caused them to be locked up in an asylum, e.g. having a child out of wedlock, are no longer considered to be mental illnesses.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby jac » Tue May 05, 2015 9:15 am

Hello Rob

My Coles... My g.gran's 2nd marriage was to Edward Alexander Cole c.1874 Dudley Port

Jac
jac

Postby snoopysue » Tue May 05, 2015 10:09 pm

I personally find it very interesting when I find something out about my family. I am though careful who I tell what! If it's generations ago, then there probably isn't anyone around today who knew the people concerned, but an older or more religious members of my family may be upset to know about illigitimate children etc in the family.
We have several bankrupts, one of which was sent to debtors gaol, several children born before their parents were married, bigamy, and the tantalising rumour (unsubstantiated) of convicts sent to Australia.
Not all of the seemingly "negative" stories are so bad in my eyes, mostly they go to show how hard our ancestors had it. And some of them managed to rally and rise above their circumstances - it's all to do with the "eyes that are seeing" the story, as well as times changing. Most people today wouldn't bat an eyelid if they heard of a divorce, but not too many years ago this was socially (and for the woman, often economically) unacceptable.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Return to Miscellaneous