Image Restoration

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Image Restoration

Postby fitz5487 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Hello, everyone.

First of all, being a member of other forums, I know the following post can be annoying, but I wondered if you can help.

I am a teacher and hobbyist graphics artist looking to set myself up as a part time photograph restoration/alterations business. I have been doing this for a while with my mum's old photo collection and would like to offer my services.

As I mentioned, my full time job is in fact as an 11-18 teacher and this is purely a hobby of mine. I would like to build up a small portfolio to show off my work, see if I can actually perform this work for others, but I do not want to make anyone pay for what is essentially an unproven service.

I would like to offer some photo restorations to the members of this forum for free, so I can achieve the above.

Things that I can correct:

- Damaged photograph
- Faded photograph
- Areas that are too dark
- Colouring of old photographs
- Removing unwanted people/objects from photographs
- Cropping
- Combining 2 photographs
- Anything else just ask

An example of my work is as follows:

Original
Corrected

As I say, I do not want any money for this from anyone who wishes to 'try' my services. I purely want to see if I am able to do it, and I think it would be unfair to charge people.

If you would like me to help, or can offer any images to me that I will be able to 'mend' I would appreciate it if you could drop me an email, possibly attaching images and a description of the work you would like done. Or feel free to discuss anything with me. Any particularly damaged photographs I may need further reference points :

info at imagesurgeon.co.uk

If this post is not in the spirit of the forum (I can totally understand why), then feel free to close the thread, etc.

Many thanks.

Lee
Last edited by fitz5487 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
fitz5487

Re: Image Restoration

Postby grangers14 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:14 am

I will move this over to Misc. section where it can stay Lee.
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby gardener » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:25 am

That sounds a great offer!
You might want to edit your post so that the @ is replaced by ^AT^ just to reduce the chance of your email address being misused.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby fitz5487 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:07 am

Good idea! Changed it now. Forgot about that.

Im not sure what the geneology community thinks of photograph restoration. From reading about it it seems that opinions vary as to how much an image should be doctored.

To think as well that the original photographs were not intended to be viewed on a computer.
fitz5487

Postby spes123 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:51 pm

When I have old photographs "repaired" I place both the original and new in the file, that way I keep most of the family happy, except those 1 or 2 or are adamant that only the original should be there.
spes123

Return to Miscellaneous