GEDCOM files

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

GEDCOM files

Postby neil_foreman » Sun May 25, 2014 3:20 am

I have a very large GEDCOM file in the name of FOREMAN representing over twenty years of work which I would like to save for life. Any suggestions as to where I could send it?
neil_foreman

Re: GEDCOM files

Postby Northern Lass » Sun May 25, 2014 6:16 am

neil_foreman wrote:I have a very large GEDCOM file in the name of FOREMAN representing over twenty years of work which I would like to save for life. Any suggestions as to where I could send it?

Welcome neil to forum Srd will move this to misc...Gen Discussion

do the society of Genealogists offer something?
or the family history society...if there is one

any black country foremans?
we have a sort of black country tree going.......on tribal pages
not sure if it will be there for life..........as long as tribal pages is about
although we back up the gedcom and Jo aka Grangers 14 and I run it.
If you have any black country ones you could pop a post on with one or two and we could try and add some
if we a min

Do the national archives offer anything?
Northern Lass

Re: GEDCOM files

Postby SRD » Sun May 25, 2014 7:12 am

Googling throws up a variety of options including http://www.one-name.org/.

If the study is locally based there may be a Local History Group who would hold it.

Posting it on any of the sites like Mundia will preserve it but their T&Cs are pretty strong:
For each item of content that you post, you grant to us and our affiliates a world-wide, royalty free, fully paid-up, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable, and fully sublicensable (including to other Website users) license, without additional consideration to you or any third party, to: (i) reproduce, distribute, make available, transmit, communicate to the public, perform and display (publicly or otherwise), edit, modify, adapt, create derivative works from and otherwise use such content, in any format or media now known or later developed; (ii) exercise all trademark, publicity and other proprietary rights with regard to such content; (iii) use your name, photograph, portrait, picture, voice, likeness and biographical information as provided by you in connection with your content for the Service, in each case, in connection with your content. For example, after your registration or subscription has ended, we may continue to use and display any content that you previously posted, and other users may continue may access, change, edit, add to, subtract from or otherwise amend such content. If you do not want to grant us the rights set out in these Terms of Use, please do not post any content on the Website. [Emphasis is as it appears in the original.]
To the extent permitted by applicable law, you agree to waive all moral rights in any content that you post or send whilst using the Website, including the right to be identified as the author of such content.

You could set up your own website using a proprietary genealogy programme, wiki has more info, but that would require some servicing, renewing urls, hosting services etc.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Return to Miscellaneous