Old Dean Common Camberley WW2

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Old Dean Common Camberley WW2

Postby Pattiw » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:30 am

I am reposting this here. I had posted it in the Military Forum with no luck so I'm trying again here. Does anyone have any information about Old Dean Common? I believe there was an instruction camp for Free French Forces there during WW2. Does anyone know (a) the dates that this was an instruction camp (b) whether there is any way of knowing the names of the men and women who were trained there and (c) how far from Chobham this camp was . In fact would that have been the nearest town or village? (d) Would any of the Free French have been billeted in Chobham? I'd be really grateful if anyone has any info on this. Thank you.
Pattiw
Pattiw

Re: Old Dean Common Camberley WW2

Postby SRD » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:20 am

You've probably found this entry in wiki about Old Dean:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Dean wrote: When the estate was first constructed, the portion between the A30 and Upper College Ride, was littered with demolished concrete blockhouses and military installations. An "ideal" playground for the dozens of children who moved there in the early 1950s. These were once the barracks and training grounds of Charles De Gaulle's Free French Army and the connection is maintained in the name of the primary school: Lorraine takes its name from the Cross of Lorraine, from the French Region, the School's badge features the Free French insignia. When the School opened under the tutelage of Mr MacKean, the then French Ambassador attended the opening ceremony and read a message from General De Gaulle. In the early 21st century more affordable housing was added.

Google maps/directions suggest that it's currently around 7 miles from Chobham to Old Dean, but that includes travelling on roads that weren't there in the war. I suppose it would be possible for men to be billeted in Chobham but transferring them over that distance when they could be housed in temporary buildings closer to the training area seems a waste of energy.

However there were all sorts of wartime activities in the area: This site may give you further leads.

Incidentally, I didn't know all this I just googled 'old dean common WWII' and 'Chobham WWII' so I'm sure that more intensive googling will give you more info.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Pattiw » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:41 am

Thank you very much for that. Yes, I have seen the Wiki entry. I will look at the site link you have given me. It's a complicated story but the reason I asked about Chobham was because we believe it may have been a place where a young woman (family history stuff) and a free french agent used to meet up, so he may not necessarily have been billeted there. Maybe there was a pub or hotel in the village. I'll look into that. Thanks again.
Pattiw

Postby SRD » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:17 am

I'm not sure that the area was used for 'behind the lines' training, it was a training area for regular troops throughout the war, British, Canadian & French, but there were also P.o.W camps locally.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Pattiw » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:53 pm

Thank you. I have proof now that it was used for behind the lines training. BCRA agents began their training at Old Dean, then Ringway near Manchester, West Court, Thame Park then Beaulieu before they went on missions behind the lines in France. Very brave men and women. A lot of them never returned.
Pattiw

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:56 am

Moving to Misc in Gen Discussion
Northern Lass

Return to Miscellaneous