1921 Census (Petition to have it published)

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

1921 Census (Petition to have it published)

Postby birdbrain » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi everyone, this may be of general interest.
I received and email from the transcribers group giving a link to an e-petition for the government to get the 1921 census material released.
The email reads...
There is a petition going forward at present to seek early release of the 1921 Census for the following reasons,
•Amend the 1920 Census Act to make the publication of the census data exempt from the 100 year rule such that the data can be published now.
•It is already 90 years since that 1921 census took place. The 1931 census data for England was destroyed and no census took place in 1941.
•2022 is far too late considering there are no other census available until the 1951 one. Many people that are on the 1921 census are not around now so issues of people’s rights should not be affected!"

The petition closes on 24th April 2014 and I feel transcribers have an interest in supporting this petition. If you agree perhaps you could all take some time to sign up to it.

Signing the petition is very simple just follow the link below and fill in your details it only takes a minute

If you feel that this is worth supporting then the website link is -
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/49199
birdbrain

Re: 1921 Census (Petition to have it published)

Postby Antie Em » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:17 pm

My mom's still around - born in 1919, and I'm sure she would love to see her's and her families details on this census. I personally don't think it will work, as they would probably have to change the law. Perhaps they will release it two years early like they did with the 1911, blocking out sensitive information.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Re: 1921 Census (Petition to have it published)

Postby snoopysue » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:59 pm

Antie Em wrote:My mom's still around - born in 1919, and I'm sure she would love to see her's and her families details on this census. I personally don't think it will work, as they would probably have to change the law. Perhaps they will release it two years early like they did with the 1911, blocking out sensitive information.

I too have one relative alive who would be recorded on the census.
Two years early is probably the best we can hope for, and although it may help tie up a few loose ends I'm not sure it'll help that much. Still 2021 is only seven years away!! There are other records I'd rather have online, that may help go further back.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Return to Miscellaneous