Wills

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Wills

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:29 am

How do you find the full info in a will
on ancestry it gives you when will was proved............how do you find full will info
what it says?
Northern Lass

Re: Wills

Postby Maths girl » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:34 am

NL

I think you need to buy it -- there is a form -- I found it on the internet -- -- it costed about £5 last time I did it -- it varies what you get as with so many things.

Try here
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... ecords.htm

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks MG

Can you get info on all wills proved however recent?
they only are up to 1966 on ancestry

is there an index for recent ones that have been proved?
Northern Lass

Postby grangers14 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:37 am

What if I cannot get to First Avenue House or a Registry?

If you write to the Postal Searches and Copies Department officials will make a search on your behalf. There is a charge for this but if a grant is traced, the search fee includes the provision of a copy of the grant and (if any), the Will. If a grant is not traced a letter will be sent to you to tell you this. Either way we will contact you within four weeks of receiving your request.

You should complete the form PA1S and enclose the appropriate fee (or write and provide the full name, address and date of death of the deceased, and what documents you require). You should send the completed form or letter to:

Postal Searches and Copies Department
Leeds District Probate Registry
York House
York Place
Leeds
LS1 2BA

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probat ... ants-wills
grangers14

Postby snoopysue » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:42 am

I've used it a few times, they're pretty quick too - unfortunately for us ex-pats they only take cheques though. You usually get a photocopy of a transcript, although on one occasion I think it was a copy of the original, as the witnesses were in different hand writing - it was one of the more recent wills.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby AndrewA » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:12 pm

If people throw hands up in air and life too short to wade through all the document descriptions and dont understand it, then here is a simplified process, some already mentioned in above posts.

FIrst download form PA1S Here is the link - Please note, that the courts services links are not configured properly, so when clicking on thier links your browser may throw up a warning page. Just give permissions for it to continue and click through the allow exceptions etc. It is perfectly safe. I have amended the link below so it should just load with the PDF file.

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/c ... 1s-eng.pdf

You only need the persons name and year of death, but the more details you give the better. If not sure date of death, then you can specify a search period. A four year search period is included for the £6 fee, additional 4 year periods are charged at £4. Searching from 1890-1910 Will cost £22.

Additional copies are charged at £1 per copy.

There is a full description of fees in the second half of the document

cheque or postal order made out to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’.

Address as given above.
Hit a Brickwall? Have you lost all trace of someone? Do not despair, simply make a note they were abducted by aliens! Don't believe in aliens? No problem, just write them off as having disapeared in a time portal
AndrewA

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Ok thanks :grin:
Northern Lass

Return to Miscellaneous