FreeREG

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Re: FreeREG

Postby SRD » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:41 am

In the time that my grandparents lived in Cradley Heath the Postal address changed from Staffs to Worcester to West Midlands depending on which local Borough it came under.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby BC Wench » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:07 pm

Hello All,

FreeREG was updated last week. Staffordshire volunteers entered 43,856 records - first place again!!

Why don't you give it a go at being a volunteer transcriber. Jonathan Maxfield, who is the Staffordshire Co-ordinator (which covers the Black Country) is absolutely brilliant at solving any problems you may have on reading the handwriting and keeps his volunteers up-to-date with things that are going on regarding FreeREG.

I get a lot of satisfaction in transcribing these registers and being able to help others with something for FREE, especially when some of the registers can't be found online, either by paying or for free. It's a great distraction as well from just doing Family History.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Antie Em » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:17 pm

Got the OK today - will be starting soon xxx
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby BC Wench » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Nice one Maggie. xx
BC Wench

Postby nessa » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:05 pm

Jonathan is certainly very helpful and has loads of patience if you need help especially when you begin. It s nice to give something back to help others.

Nessa
nessa

Postby Antie Em » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:43 pm

Quite a coincidence Nessa. I found a buriel for one of my relatives on FreeReg yesterday and e mailed someone who I hadn't spoken to in ages and who shares the same rellie to let him know that the buriel was on FreeReg, in case he hadn't seen it. He e mailed me back this morning to say yes he had seen it and that in fact he runs FreeReg. It was Jonathan Maxfield and we are related through my Taylor Family in Tipton. Small world aint it !!!
Antie Em

Postby nessa » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:55 pm

Talk about a small world I am also related to Jonathan through my mothers Bird family from Pensnett. Before I started transcribing I contacted Jonathan via Ancestry with a query, from that initial contact he suggested I joined Freereg and I enjoy every minute.

Nessa
nessa

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:28 am

Do you have to go to the archives to transcribe or do they have the reels as the archives do
and do they send them to you?
Northern Lass

Postby nessa » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:09 am

You access the registers through Flickr then download the register you are using to your computer. Don't even have to leave your house.

Nessa
nessa

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:00 am

nessa wrote:You access the registers through Flickr then download the register you are using to your computer. Don't even have to leave your house.

Nessa

Can anyone access these registers save going to archives or is it just those transcribing?
special codes and all that :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby BC Wench » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:50 pm

Northern Lass wrote:
nessa wrote:You access the registers through Flickr then download the register you are using to your computer. Don't even have to leave your house.

Nessa

Can anyone access these registers save going to archives or is it just those transcribing?

:roll: :roll: :roll: I despair with you at times NL. What would be the point of transcribing the registers if everybody could have online access :?:
:wink: xx
BC Wench

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:55 am

BC Wench wrote:
Northern Lass wrote:

Nessa

:roll: :roll: :roll: I despair with you at times NL. What would be the point of transcribing the registers if everybody could have online access :?:
:wink: xx

Only asking!! :roll:

go on give us the codes we won't tell! :lol:
Northern Lass

Postby Antie Em » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:15 am

Jonathan has asked me to ask if anyone in the group has PR photographs they would be willing to share with him - not one-off pages, though. He is willing to swap some of his photos for records he doesn't hold. If anybody is interested, I can give them his e mail address.

Maggie :-)
Antie Em

Postby BC Wench » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:29 pm

From the old FreeREG web site:-

IMPORTANT: We are pleased to announce that a new version of this website is ready for you to search at FreeREG2 and it is using the same set of records as here. You will find that it has some new search options and it works slightly differently, so do not expect exactly the same search result, and you may even find something new.

http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk which is updated every night! One of the things I love about the new site is that you can now search for marriages by the female name.

You can still access the old web site.
BC Wench

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous